When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you date this Sears serial number?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Interesting frame on that one. That doesn't look like a Murray frame to me, the rear dropouts have cut outs in them, Murray frames aren't like that.

Also, it has a three piece crank, it might be foreign made. I'll look in the catalogs later and see if something jumps out.

That headbadge sticker being round like that does look like the one in the 1975 catalog though.

Good catch , guess I should have waited for the last pic to download.

I've looked through all the years and ya that chainring and crank aside it's that fork crown that gets me.

Interesting frame on that one. That doesn't look like a Murray frame to me, the rear dropouts have cut outs in them, Murray frames aren't like that.

Also, it has a three piece crank, it might be foreign made. I'll look in the catalogs later and see if something jumps out.

That headbadge sticker being round like that does look like the one in the 1975 catalog though.

This thing really has me confused. I thought it must be later with the crank etc. but the part number and look were very close on the 75 you found.

Does everyone agree it's a Sears Murry built?
Free Spirit helps narrow the date.
Crank and ring have been replaced.
But.
The fork crown looks differant than what is pictured in the catalogs and the internet.
The stays are angle cut at the down tube which is differant than the catalog pics.
One number of the serial number is hidden by a weld.
505 in the serial number - i thought Sears was 502 - I'm probably wrong but....
Intersting bike.

Does everyone agree it's a Sears Murry built?
Free Spirit helps narrow the date.
Crank and ring have been replaced.
But.
The fork crown looks differant than what is pictured in the catalogs and the internet.
The stays are angle cut at the down tube which is differant than the catalog pics.
One number of the serial number is hidden by a weld.
505 in the serial number - i thought Sears was 502 - I'm probably wrong but....
Intersting bike.

Everything I looked up said sears numbers were 502. I just don’t know the answer here and it appears it will remain a mystery as I don’t think anyone else does either. I’ve searched up and down and can’t find an exact match for it anywhere. Did Sears ever offer any custom bikes or promo bikes etc?

For sure an interesting bike. I bet someone will eventually read this and know what is going on. This is the kind of bike i like. I am still looking for a Jan.66 Fastback with the old school serial number. Good luck.

For sure an interesting bike. I bet someone will eventually read this and know what is going on. This is the kind of bike i like. I am still looking for a Jan.66 Fastback with the old school serial number. Good luck.

Thanks, hopefully your right and someone will figure it out. Good luck on your fastback acquisition and thanks for your help! I appreciate the effort from everyone who responded and/or checked into the bike! For now i guess I’ll just throw some wheels, etc. on it and enjoy it.

Back