When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can you help ID this one?

-
reviving an old thread

You wanted to see other pierce bicycles, so here is a link to the bike I just picked up: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39956471@N06/

I thought that the hardware on my chainring was mismatched, but it is the same as your bike!! So weird that they have two square nuts and a hex nut... from the factory!
chainring.JPG

chainring2.JPG

over 10 years ago

The Pierce racing bicycles were promoted by Frank Kramer whose name appeared on the top models which were fitted with British racing cranks and hubs, lesser models were offered with standard proprietary componentry. The top models were high grade bicycles a cut above most of the boy racer models offered by other companies.

...QUOTE]

I had an original paint pierce racer IT HAD FRANK CRAMER on the seat tube as I remember I did not think much of that- had seen others so I am not sure if it said SPECIAL or what - it DID NOT have the small RACER badge...it HAD USA components and I considerd it a racer in looks only- not lightweight etc.

wow

so much information! I dont think my bike is a racer, but rather a two piece roadster model. Especially because of the fenders, handlebars and pedals. Because of the repaint, I dont see any holes in the head tube to indicate a badge or even a little extra badge. The holes may have been filled in when the frame repair abomination happened.

13.jpg

thanks for posting pics! congrats on your new find!
I think that you are correct in your assumption regarding racer vs. roadster. you do have some great parts! the brake arm/rear wheel is defiantly original. the seat clamp is cool as well! does it have a patent date? I think I see 1926 on it. the sprocket seem like its cast and not stamped which means higher quality. I do, however think that both of our bikes have, at one time in their long lives, lost hardware. the bolts/nuts on the sprocket are a hardware store fix, im sure of it. other differences between the racer(mine) and yours is the subtle bend on the rear fork at the axle. the bend on mine is described as a design to keep everything level and constant if adjustments need to be made on the track. Also the bottom bracket bearings on mine do not have dust covers (explained in the catalog as an advantage on the track for ease of oiling instead of grease that I assume would slow you down. all this said, my "track" model was not a true track bike of high level campaign quality, definitely better quality than an average road bike of the time, but still mass produced. Mine is a Frank Kramer Special. I have heard about the little badge on the front that says "special" as well as" Special Racer"also one that just says "racer" all of which I have never seen for sale anywhere. I would very much like to have one. Also, if the date on your clamp is indeed original to the bike then yours was made in Angola and not Buffalo. I do not have anything on my bike to definitely date it. I would very much like to attribute mine to the buffalo location, but I may never know. all the serial numbers I have found are in all sorts of locations and no order or sequence has been discerned yet. I would very much like to get more info! thanks!

Kudos Volksboy! for researching the website! there is tons of research and information within the threads of these pages. good luck on whatever you decide to do with the cycle!

over ten years ago?

The Pierce racing bicycles were promoted by Frank Kramer whose name appeared on the top models which were fitted with British racing cranks and hubs, lesser models were offered with standard proprietary componentry. The top models were high grade bicycles a cut above most of the boy racer models offered by other companies.

...QUOTE]

I had an original paint pierce racer IT HAD FRANK CRAMER on the seat tube as I remember I did not think much of that- had seen others so I am not sure if it said SPECIAL or what - it DID NOT have the small RACER badge...it HAD USA components and I considerd it a racer in looks only- not lightweight etc.

this quote is from the reply I got from phil 4 years ago on this thread. so what exactly does "over ten years ago" mean? over ten years ago you had a Frank Kramer special and it was insignificant so you didn't offer up any info then, 4 years ago? you just now decided to chime in? thanks!

Back