Can you put a Western Flyer springer on a Spaceliner

• Please be aware: We have had several reports of members receiving private messages from newly registered members claiming that their friend has the part or bike they are looking for, and that they should email this person directly. This is a scam! If it looks even slightly suspicious, PLEASE REPORT this to us immediately so that we can investigate and if necessary, ban the member to prevent them from targeting other members. Thank you, CABE staff
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Quick Cal

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jul 13, 2020
Mid-West
Just wondering if it would be considered Sacrilege to put a springer front end on my base model spaceliner.

I can get the western flyer for $100 or less. He's asking $100. Would this be destroying a good bike, Or should I do it,,,lol.

My spaceliner.

Donor western flyer. I could use a few parts off of it and maybe sell the rest? Would all these parts fit.

Reactions: Archie Sturmer

wheelbender6

Finally riding a big boys bike
Oct 23, 2018
Houston area
If that Western Flyer is all original, I would keep it intact and find another fork for your Spaceliner.
- to answer your question, I would not consider it blasphemy or heresy to use the Murray/WF springer fork on the Spaceliner.
I don't think there is a date code on the fork, but there are many on this site that know more about it than me.

Reactions: Archie Sturmer

AndyA

Nov 24, 2017
bergen county
CousinQuick:
I don't think that you are in any danger of committing sacrilege or even heresy. Theology is not a factor here. I definitely appreciate wheelbender's point about keeping the Western Flyer intact; however, it appears to be a Murray-built bike and the springer looks like the same one that shows up on Murray-built Spaceliners. I think that if I switched the forks, I would paint each to match the bike it ended up on. So, considering authenticity and history, both bikes should be kept as close to original as is practical. Considering value, I would guess that a Spaceliner with a springer fork would be worth significantly more than a Western Flyer. Considering aesthetics, it's every person for themself. Have fun and let us know the outcome.

Quick Cal

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jul 13, 2020
Mid-West
CousinQuick:
I don't think that you are in any danger of committing sacrilege or even heresy. Theology is not a factor here. I definitely appreciate wheelbender's point about keeping the Western Flyer intact; however, it appears to be a Murray-built bike and the springer looks like the same one that shows up on Murray-built Spaceliners. I think that if I switched the forks, I would paint each to match the bike it ended up on. So, considering authenticity and history, both bikes should be kept as close to original as is practical. Considering value, I would guess that a Spaceliner with a springer fork would be worth significantly more than a Western Flyer. Considering aesthetics, it's every person for themself. Have fun and let us know the outcome.

Since my spaceliner is a base model that never came with a springer, as far as value goes, would a purist collect say That the springer adds no value. It's a piece together.

Rivnut

I live for the CABE
Nov 24, 2012
Shawnee, United States
The model number (not serial number) stamped into the rear dropout will give you a way to a purist. Model numbers on Sears bikes are very specific as to what they were originally.

BrentP

Jun 26, 2010
Calgary, Canada via Marin Co. CA
www.facebook.com
I wouldn't worry too much about swapping the fork. If you want to remain pure, you will need to fix the chain guard and the current fork anyway, and swap to an original saddle (chain guard should be chrome and the decal on the fork is wrong).

Reactions: wheelbender6

Quick Cal

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jul 13, 2020
Mid-West
I wouldn't worry too much about swapping the fork. If you want to remain pure, you will need to fix the chain guard and the current fork anyway, and swap to an original saddle (chain guard should be chrome and the decal on the fork is wrong).

The bike has been painted, so the forks are original, but painted. Triangles just masked off and painted on,,,lol. Nothing I can do about that.

I did all ready have a chain gurd on the way. Just got it today. Also got a Troxel seat. Don't know if it's original, but it's better than what was on there and it was only $15.

Reactions: BrentP
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

AndyA

Nov 24, 2017
bergen county
Uncle Cal:
Nice job! Saddles for boys' Spaceliners and Flightliners typically were black with white piping. See first pic of Spaceliner below. To simulate this on my Flightliner, I painted the bottom edge of a replacement saddle as shown in the second pic. Have fun!

Reactions: cbustapeck
This ad goes away when you register for an account!