When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carbide lamp primer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Big Moe

I live for the CABE
Can anyone give me a primer on carbide bicycle lamps please. What should I look for. Manufacturers any information would be appreciated. Thanks y'all. Big Moe

I have a few of them, all a little different & unique. The smaller more stylized ones appeal to me personally. Depending on what you're looking for, decorative or functional. They are pretty simple, two canisters, top one for water which drips into the lower one holding the carbide pellets. Tube from lower chamber delivers acetylene gas into bezel housing. Other than the obvious, cracked or missing lens, sometimes the canisters have splits or rot holes. Here are a couple, the one on top is a Columbia, the bottom one says British Made. Hope this helps, Moe.

DSC03542.JPG

I would like to have one that mounts to the fork for my Deluxe Flyer bike I just got. Do you have any for sale. Thanks Big Moe.

If you search on eBay UK there are usually quite a few for sale; not sure on what import taxes you'd have to pay though, when I get stuff from your side of the pond it can be rather expensive! Fairly common British ones are made by manufacturers such as Lucas or Powell & Hammer.
Is it easy to get hold of the carbide over there? There aren't many retailers here, only mining/caving suppliers.

Solar is a big name in th US. Orson Welles' father died of drink and left him set for life. Badger Brass Manufacturing Inheritance was the springboard for the 15 year old. That's a good lamp!

Back