When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carlton Competition

-
I don't know about the cataloged Carlton specifications but as far as the later Competition GS you are correct, at the model's introduction in 1977 the Professional was fitted, I was referring to the early to mid 70s Raleighs, IIRC no Professional saddle was fitted to a Raleigh below International except that rare 1970 chrome Gran Sport that you hardly ever see, on the early (1970) Competition and the much more common black Competition Mk II it was either B15 or B17. If you have pics of your early and original Carlton Competition it might be helpful as a point of reference for the OP and the CABE, that model does not pop up that often. Todd

Last edited:
-----

The GB allen key stem was the one fitting which made me suspect frame might be slightly later than early seventies. Since we now have the information that it had been assembled into a cycle by an individual from the frame up it is moot.

-----

you guys are getting all catalog nerdy over an obvious lived-with bike.
A pretty bike I'm glad doesn't fit me so I don't have to covet.
From the rear drop-outs to the fork, the frameset really matches Raleigh Super Course in grade.
My bet, the bike was delivered with the (a) Huret drivetrain, and from the early 70s - I'd also add a side bet to 1972 for the 6-digit serial number.
Certainly the crank and stem were decade-later swaps.
The 6-digit serial number separates it from Worksop-made Raleighs (except possibly '72) , which otherwise all had 7 digits after 1963.
Yet another side bet, 1972 was probably the first big run of Raleigh SC and GP frames from Worksop.

While it looks like I lost my bet - looked up the Reynolds decal - it originated in 1977, so also considered that was when this bike was made and delivered - but more likely the decal was replaced.

Further complicating the issue, the frame is very much like this 1971 (bought as frame), though the bike linked just below has the correct 531 decal.
btw, this bike does not appear in the '73 catalog or any later I was able to find online.

also looked up the GB Ventoux Map of Britain bars - they date to 1969, and are a really nice touch, also maybe not original.
4Gxzsoo.jpg
bwqARfP.jpg

Last edited:
This bike is 1975 or later and its a remarkable bike because I have never seen a Carlton Competition in the USA, it was a UK-only model, the USA model always said Raleigh Competition (in script letters, a white/blue 1972 model existed and it had high-quality zeus dropouts I believe, or campagnolo, not the stamped ones on this model) I know this for 2 reasons. First, the rear brake cable stop became 2 braze-ons (like the front) in 1975. Second, the reynolds stick changed in 1973/4, and 1975 as reynolds was sold to TI. In 1973/4 the 531 decal simply said, "Reynolds Tube Co. Inc, Birmingham England" and it was significantly more vertical than this 1975+ reynolds 531 decal.

Back