When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAST IRON MOTORCYCLE TOYS

-

stoney

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Looking for ORIGINAL cast iron motorcycle toys that I don't have. Please PM with pics. Thank you, Ray

SANY0341.JPG

SANY0342.JPG

SANY0340.JPG

Hi Mike, thank you. A few tell tale signs are, REPROS have a rough finish. Many people think that the older toys had a rough finish and REPROS were smoother because REPROS were made later in time and the technology was better. Just the opposite. Originals had ROUND HEAD RIVETS holding the toy together, round on one side and peened over on the other side of the toy. REPROS 9 out of 10 times have either a PHILLIPS HEAD or SLOT HEAD bolt holding the 2 sides together. For ORIGINALS the 2 sides fit pretty tight together, REPROS have more of a gap. Also a REPRO many times will have a filed look where the 2 halves come together. Many REPROS you see have thick iron wheels and tires. Some ORIGINALS have tin nickel spoked wheels. Hope that helped. Thanks Mike

Last edited:
There are TONS OF REPROS, some are just fantasy pieces (never made) out there. If anyone has or comes across a motorcycle toy that you are curious about send me pic. Whether you want to buy it for yourself or buying it to sell to me I will let you know if repro or original. Again I am not a know it all about them but I have been looking at them for about 8-9 years. I have a real good grasp on them. I have never bought a repro for myself thinking it was an original. I don't have any duplicates. Many times I will buy and upgrade one of them and then sell the lesser one. I also try to get all the color variations and sizes of a certain motorcycle. Like many things, if it is broken I am not interested, even if it is a small chip break it is still broken or if all rusted up I am not interested. Thanks again.

Last edited:
the screw holding them together is the easiest way to tell for those without the experience of looking at many many originals. also the wheels..... repops will always have poorly cast wheels just like the body of the toy. originals will have different types of wheels made of wood, rubber, and whatever that white stuff is... also cast steel but smooth finish and usually plated

Cool to know and an impressive display! If you get a chance to shoot a pic of an original close up, especially the rivets, that would be awesome.

Will do. I broke my camera this morning. I am a dinosaur. I need to figure out how to post pics from my phone.

Last edited:
I appreciate the information, they are cool. I don't need any more collections but a few on a shelf would be nice I think. What are the more collectable ones to look for, is color, specific years or makers? Speaking of makers are the marked?

-mike

The ones marked Harley Davidson of course bring extra $. The larger 9" Harley Davidson and Indian with riders are sought after moor. Some are marked Hubley, Champion, Indian, Harley Davidson on the gas tank. Harley and Indian are made by Hubley. Many collectors like the thin nickel wheels better than the rubber tires. More sought after colors are, yellow, orange, robins egg blue, green, sometimes red.

Back