When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCM and Canadian bicycles Europe and Japan

-

Nashman

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
With all due respect that bicycle ( 1941 New World posted by Mig "what bicycle you rode today") looks SO......Canadian/English. We rode CCM's and Raleighs, and Gliders in the 1950's-70's up here in Canada. Many were 28" x 1 1/2" tires, 26" x 1 3/8" ( Dunlops, Raleighs etc.) and were lightweight single speed or 3 speed Sturmey Archer, simple basic frames such as this ( considered boring compared to the jet/motorcycle/space themed American ballooners and middleweights/later lightweights). Muscle bikes came along in the late1960's same brands, ( CCM/Canadian Cycle and Motor company, Mustangs/fastbacks, Raleigh choppers etc. great quality) few off shore brands/cheaper made in some European countries, then 10 speeds came along. Good quality. Italy, France, even Japan. Then came China and there's no looking back.

I had a few nice Canadian bicycles as a collector back in the 1980's. Some were CCM "motorbikes" with double top tubes ( 28 x 1- 1/2 tires) and there was a 26 x 2" CCM balloon tire I've seen quite a few of/even posted on the Cabe. Some of my early CCM's had wood rims and very ornate headbadges. There is quite a rich history of Canadian and European bicycles out there. PLEASE contribute if you wish. I had a minty condition 1957 Raleigh Robin Hood Sherwood Arrow 3 speed Sturmey Archer with a dyno ( generator) in the front hub and rear light, all original down to the cable brakes, seat and grips. That bike could fly!! Miller was a common bike light generator ( on front or rear wheel/really dragged you down at night!!) and rear light. Great quality. We had some American made accessories, some Japan battery operated.

Of course with Canada being a British colony, we had lots of British bicycles, accessories, motorcycles and cars.I quote: “ Canada's final vestige of legislative dependence on the United Kingdom was terminated in 1982 with the enactment of the Canada Act, subsequently providing Canada with full legal legislative sovereignty independent of the United Kingdom”.

One of/if not THE most desireable was the CCM Flyte with reverse bowed front forks and stays on the rear. QUOTE:

Things finally warmed up at CCM in 1935 when Harvey Webb Peace3 , the Chief Engineer (later Factory Manager) at CCM for several decades, decided to break away from the mould. CCM were by now located in a large, vertically integrated factory in Weston, Ontario (NW Toronto), having long outgrown the pre-WWI location at The Junction nearer town.

The CCM Flyte: The CCM Flyte, his lasting masterpiece, was a very unusual bicycle. Produced for just 5 years, from 1936-1940, before war clouds shut down most bicycle production in Canada, the Flyte remains a much sought-after collector machine to this day. It was also the only bicycle design that CCM ever patented4.
https://vintageccm.com/content/good-day-ccm-flyte-info-please

I quote:
Application for patent filed on October 23, 1935.
Patent no. 358849 granted on June 30, 1936.

The Invention:

The principal objects of this invention are to provide a bicycle of an unusual novel and attractive appearance which will have a distinct appeal to the eye in conformance with the line adopted in the streamlining of vehicles and further, to utilize the streamline effect of design to accomplish a very distinct improvement in the riding qualities of the bicycle to effect the absorbing of road shocks and further, to provide a very desirable form of bicycle having a distinctly novel appeal. The principal features of the invention consist in the novel construction of the main frame whereby the upper bar is curved to meet the rear ends of the lower fork and to form a continuous part therewith and the front forks are curved downwardly with their lower ends bent rearwardly to form a resilient front support corresponding in part with the resilient rear fork.

In the accompanying drawings, Figure 1 is the side elevational view of my improved streamlined resilient bicycle. Figure 2 is an enlarged sectional view through the fork head of the front fork. Figure 3 is a side elevational view of the frame connections at the juncture of the top bar and upper end of the rear fork. Figure 4 is a sectional front elevational view of the upper rear fork connection shown in Figure 3. Figure 5 is an enlarged side elevational detail of the rear wheel support.

Figure 6 is a longitudinal sectional view through the structure illustrated in
Figure 5.

In the manufacture of bicycles, it has been the practice for many years to construct the frame in accordance with a “standard” pattern which in side elevation is substantially diamond-shape or of a rhomboid formation with the rear forks extending substantially horizontally from the crank bracket and mating the rear braces or upper forks at an acute angle where the axle of the wheel is mounted in slotted brackets and the front forks of said “standard” type of bicycles slope straight down from the head or front end of the frame having a slight curve forward for the castor effect. In the “standard” type of bicycle, the frame and forks are perfectly rigid and the shocks and vibrations of road travel are carried directly through the frame and transmitted to the rider. It is the dual purpose of this invention to devise a bicycle which will be easier to ride, its construction being such as to eliminate most of the minor vibrations and many of the major ones, or at least to greatly soften the transmission of such to the rider and further, to provide a bicycle which will appeal to the eye as conforming to present day standards of streamlining effects. In carrying these ideas into practice, I have constructed a bicycle as shown in the accompanying drawings.

Harvey W. Peace
Assignor to Canada Cycle and Motor Limited

1553437865196.png

Last edited:
Here is a custom example I currently have in my collection. ( no fenders/bladed gooseneck/oversize tires/ airflow bars) They often came with a Troxel tool box streamlined saddle as well. I'll start a thread for those that may be interested or care to contribute. AGAIN, there are many interesting brands made in Canada. Rare and unique.

CCM 38.JPG

Flyte couch.JPG

zoom zoom.JPG

bar 2.JPG

You need to work on getting the reflective tape off the tires. The bike looks great.
I agree. Thanks Tom!! I was told a heat gun can work. I don't want to do it with the tires on the wheels/or on the bike. I'm being selectively "lazy". Ha!!
I've been wrenching on lots of bikes all Winter. I'll be getting ( extra set of wheels/tires) some 28" x 1 1/2 " whitewalls and period correct CCM hubs and wheels ( freshly built) that have the raised drop rim red paint with white hand pinstriped lines like original CCM wheels. Then I'll pull these wheels, the tires and try to heat and peel the reflective strip. I won't be riding this bike much at night.

The English got the utility bicycle correct relatively early on - a basic diamond frame, internal gear hub, rod or cable brakes, mid-sized tires and a choice of 28 or 26 inch clincher rims in a fairly basic spoke pattern. Almost everything could be repaired relatively easily, and with fairly basic tools. Tires and tubes were of decent quality and relatively easy to patch or replace. The metallurgy was generally pretty good before WWII, the basic steel alloys got even better going into the post-WWII period. The English utility bikes and their derivatives provided (and still provide) reliable, consistent transportation for millions of people around the world.

The English-style utility bike was to the bicycle world what the Ford Model T and Model A (or the old VW Bug even) were to the car world - a basic, mass-produced utility vehicle for everyday transportation. The classic, rod brake roadsters go back before WWI, and the classic cable brake light roadsters appeared in large numbers in the 1930s. These bikes have mostly been superseded by more modern utility bikes, but in some places, the rod and cable brake roadster designs from before WWII still are common on the roads.

The New World was Schwinn's attempt to bring a similar, utility type-bicycle to production in the U.S. The New World was aimed at older riders - teens and adults who wanted a pure bicycle (not a bicycle disguised as a motorcycle, airplane, etc.) for touring, sporting, and transportation purposes. The New World looks a lot like English bikes of the time because the basic "light roadster" English bike with 1 or 3 speeds, cable brakes, a diamond frame, and 26 inch wheels was the example for Schwinn. Schwinn was not alone - many other U.S. makers tried to produce diamond frame utility bikes starting in the 1930s, but the bikes failed to catch on as they had in England. The kind of market Schwinn and other builders wanted for these bikes did not appear until the bike boom of the late 60s and early 70s in the U.S. I sometimes wonder "what if" the 1930s-40s lightweights had caught on in the U.S. We might have a much richer history of U.S.-made utility and sporting bikes from the "golden age" of mid-century U.S. manufacturing.

The English got the utility bicycle correct relatively early on - a basic diamond frame, internal gear hub, rod or cable brakes, mid-sized tires and a choice of 28 or 26 inch clincher rims in a fairly basic spoke pattern. Almost everything could be repaired relatively easily, and with fairly basic tools. Tires and tubes were of decent quality and relatively easy to patch or replace. The metallurgy was generally pretty good before WWII, the basic steel alloys got even better going into the post-WWII period. The English utility bikes and their derivatives provided (and still provide) reliable, consistent transportation for millions of people around the world.

The English-style utility bike was to the bicycle world what the Ford Model T and Model A (or the old VW Bug even) were to the car world - a basic, mass-produced utility vehicle for everyday transportation. The classic, rod brake roadsters go back before WWI, and the classic cable brake light roadsters appeared in large numbers in the 1930s. These bikes have mostly been superseded by more modern utility bikes, but in some places, the rod and cable brake roadster designs from before WWII still are common on the roads.

The New World was Schwinn's attempt to bring a similar, utility type-bicycle to production in the U.S. The New World was aimed at older riders - teens and adults who wanted a pure bicycle (not a bicycle disguised as a motorcycle, airplane, etc.) for touring, sporting, and transportation purposes. The New World looks a lot like English bikes of the time because the basic "light roadster" English bike with 1 or 3 speeds, cable brakes, a diamond frame, and 26 inch wheels was the example for Schwinn. Schwinn was not alone - many other U.S. makers tried to produce diamond frame utility bikes starting in the 1930s, but the bikes failed to catch on as they had in England. The kind of market Schwinn and other builders wanted for these bikes did not appear until the bike boom of the late 60s and early 70s in the U.S. I sometimes wonder "what if" the 1930s-40s lightweights had caught on in the U.S. We might have a much richer history of U.S.-made utility and sporting bikes from the "golden age" of mid-century U.S. manufacturing.

SUPERB information!!! Thanks......

I 've mentioned this before in another thread, so apologies if you're familiar with these theories.
These basic bicycles were so popular, and sold in their millions over here is mainly due to the need for reliable and cheap transport for the average working man. Motoring was fairly expensive, and the cost was prohibitive to most up until the late '50s.
Immediately pre, and post WW2, the classic lightweights boom was fuelled by young adults in the cycling clubs scene; both racing and touring had millions of active followers and enthusiasts.
I think the U.S. saw the bicycle as more of a childs plaything long before the UK did.
Although as a child in the '70's, I would have sold my soul for a way cooler American machine!

I 've mentioned this before in another thread, so apologies if you're familiar with these theories.
These basic bicycles were so popular, and sold in their millions over here is mainly due to the need for reliable and cheap transport for the average working man. Motoring was fairly expensive, and the cost was prohibitive to most up until the late '50s.
Immediately pre, and post WW2, the classic lightweights boom was fuelled by young adults in the cycling clubs scene; both racing and touring had millions of active followers and enthusiasts.
I think the U.S. saw the bicycle as more of a childs plaything long before the UK did.
Although as a child in the '70's, I would have sold my soul for a way cooler American machine!

I never saw your other thread. I was born in 1957. I totally agree and am pleased with your comments and information. With the simpler designs of a utilitarian form of transportation made in HUGE quantities ( and accepted/ridden) outside the U.S.A., I think the "said bicycles made outside of the U.S.A." are generally not revered the same as a bicycle made in the U.S.A. This has changes somewhat. People naturally collect history attached to their own roots.

I think the same goes for motorcars and motorcycles ( British, Japan, German, Canadian etc.) made outside the U.S.A. were not appreciated at first in the U.S., but have obviously climbed into the hearts of many U.S. collectors and what were once American only purists. This is just my humble opinion/observation. I admire the "buy American" made by Americans. As a Canadian I have been loyal ( we used to say anything from Japan was garbage back in the 1960's...ha!!!! now I have a large collection of Japanese toys!) to some Canadian products, but have always marveled at the "often cooler" bicycles and of course more exciting marketing programs on many products we just didn't get.

Lets face it, Schwinn was a bicycle inspired by European roots and Ignaz Schwinn was a German immigrant.

Back