When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Central Illinois Native: Schwinn Built Pk

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

juanitasmith13

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Watched this guy for about six months on CL. Price was a bit much for an unequipped model; price dropped only a small amount twice and still there seemed to be no action. So, I finally called to go visit... I made my offer, and we proceeded with difficulty; I came home with it... only a little bit less than the last advertise. The seat, grips, and 26 X 1.75 tires, seemed to be the only non-OG parts. Folks have asked to see my progress; so, I begin this "project thread"... still un-sure whether an OG clean-up will ever please me. No matter what I do, I don't see the value of this guy skyrocketing; the value to me is that it was bought ~two years before, and ~one mile from where, I was born.

1946_PK_2.jpg
1946_PK_1.jpg
1946_PK_6.jpg

Early on, I asked questions from the CABE. This PK is an early 1946. It came with drop-center rims commonly found on 1941 and 1946 Schwinns. As I began to dis-assemble and clean, I found it was equipped with 'black-out' hubs, and black BB cups! This was a PLUS! [Schwinn's waste not want not policy]... In photos below you can see the tapered 'pencil' kickstand; definately a different install angle than the later Schwinn kickstand.
1946_PK_3.jpg
1946_PK_4.jpg
1946_PK_Rim_Hub.jpg

So, where are we now... many parts are cleaned and greased. I found two ca. 1946 'Just call me Squirt' decals on each fender dart. NO chrome or cad parts will shine. I have a broken stem; but, thankful that the fork was not split [common find when Schwinn stems are stubborn to remove]. I HAVE invested in a correct seat! Now the bike value has DOUBLED! [I might have to part out to make that true]. I have surprised myself with frame cleaning process. Below, a picture of a clean frame with my newly acquired Monrovia, CA seat... thank YOU, rustjunkie! I want to show it off! [Wheels were borrowed for photo shoot]. The original rims would not respond to cleaning; I'm really convinced I will refinish them.
PK1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice ! Recently cleaned up a 46 womens DX badged Our Own Hardware...EZ speed.
Has the same white with black pinstripe drop center rims, blackout hubs, and skiptooth set up !

My thought was that these surplus hubs and skiptooth sprockets may have been used for hardware store bikes ? My bike, like yours, seems totally original.
Friends of mine have chimed in that the wheels must have been rebuilt along the way by someone else, but I'm not feeling that's the case.
And here's another bike with the same set up to support that !

Nice ! Recently cleaned up a 46 womens DX badged Our Own Hardware...EZ speed.
Has the same white with black pinstripe drop center rims, blackout hubs, and skiptooth set up !

My thought was that these surplus hubs and skiptooth sprockets may have been used for hardware store bikes ? My bike, like yours, seems totally original.
Friends of mine have chimed in that the wheels must have been rebuilt along the way by someone else, but I'm not feeling that's the case.
And here's another bike with the same set up to support that !

***Jay these rims were used 1940-41, too, and on the 'cheaper' 1946 bikes alot; as, the Lobdell rims seemed to be in short supply [the other style for 1946... a flat dropped center rim that would in a couple years be replaced by the S-2]. Also, there is a CABER, username: REC, to whom you need to send [conv] your serial number and basic bike description. He is building a serial number history for [1946] Schwinn bikes; and, he will be able to give you some idea as to when [i.e. which quarter/which half of year model] your bike was built... thank you for your reply! pappy

Back