When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Century Marathon

-

rusty_apache

Finally riding a big boys bike
It was delayed by the Austin Tx bomber. Held at the Schertz Tx. FedEx facility! Anyway it’s here.
It’s definitely going to be a rider! I am leaning towards a full on restoration since the paint and nickel is so far gone and nearly everything I drive is unrestored. Although I do want to ride it a bit as is beforehand.
Edit; A coating of waxoyl brought out the colors. It’s not getting painted!
No more bikes for me for a good while as I have spent most of Mike Wolf’s money from selling him the 58” Columbia Expert death trap.

I’m curious about the riveted tab on the brake arm “Morrow 21130” the arm is stamped “Eclipse” closer to the hub. Does that offer any clues as to when this bicycle was made?
A105CD8A-5BA2-4990-9194-C899B9B8BDFB.jpeg

The saddle is “American saddle makers #76” Elyria Ohio
5BCCFEA1-69EB-4AAA-9DFB-5BA838F4C875.jpeg

The cyclometer has 105 miles on it. Wish it were actual miles! Love the full nickel forks.
5F8D95F1-2B52-4A66-8B30-6CD710567DA7.jpeg

Any insights or trivial information on this bike would be greatly appreciated!
9D1C5390-592E-4792-88A5-A250CC9FB406.jpeg

Last edited:
Eclipse was the Machine Shop that manufactured the Eclipse Bicycle and the first clutch hub and rear spoon brake, that evolved into the Morrow coaster brake all in one hub.
Your bicycle is around 1898
Saddle is a Troxel.

Last edited:
Eclipse was the Machine Shop that manufactured the Eclipse and the first clutch hub and rear spoon brake, that evolved into the Morrow coaster brake all in one hub.
Your bicycle is around 1898
Saddle is a Troxel.
Thanks for the information! Glad to know a little more about it.

Revolting development....
I took the early Morrow apart in order to clean and lubricate and a set of bearings is missing entirely! It looks like the races have mangled each other. I’m wondering if repair is even possible. The missing set is the larger one on the the sprocket side.
The hub hasn’t been apart for decades, so I’m not casting aspersions on anyone.
I will try to post photographs soon.

Here’s the new seat from Antique Moto Smith.
The workmanship is beautiful but I had to wrap the “flaps” to train them.
The stud dimensions were off so I need to bend out new rails to fit. I bought it knowing that because there’s a long turnaround time in having the old one reproduced.
4598D8CC-CA3C-44CC-9CF6-19C99914B1FF.jpeg

Still lots of work to be done before I get to actually ride it but it’s getting closer!

Back