When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Century Marathon

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Lamp bracket from Velo Dream in Antwerp, thanks!
Lucas Father of Darkness headlamp on the way from the UK!
Handgrips from Germany
Tires from West Virginia
Seat from Oregon
Truly an international project.

Is it wrong to replate the nickel hardware and leave the paint alone?
067B5EB6-1C8F-4D2F-9718-6B796E530B93.jpeg

9148E0A6-B601-4DB6-A7B0-802F0CDB926B.jpeg
53EF91A6-8959-46CB-AA07-E6610FF3F63D.jpeg
The results of yesterday’s work.
77A82CDF-001C-4778-9A82-3050F38C442A.jpeg

The rim is stained in ebony so it resembles the black paint on wood rims but it also shows the grain. The Noah Stutzman rims are perfectly straight but I don’t know where to get the washers used on the original rims or if they are essential.

The seat carrier is cold bent out of 1/4” round stock. I could have tweaked the original one but thought it could weaken or outright break it, so I whipped this one up just in case.

Looks great!
What's it like to ride?

Thanks. It’s probably too tall for me but I love it anyway! Not nearly as terrifying as an ordinary. I can just touch the pavement with my tippie toes.

It’s still very wobbly. The spokes are finger tight. I trued the rim within the ballpark and need to take the slack out of some of them again. Still not sure if I need to acquire some spoke washers.

The tires are still not glued so I rode it slowly and carefully. The valve stem is a little tight in the rim so I need to ream it out a little further. They feel more like solid tires than pneumatic.

The left hand flange is loose on the front hub so truing it is like nailing jello to the wall. The 1945 blackout rear hub is a 10 tooth while the original hub had 9 so the gearing is lower than originally.

It will get there. It’s so much better than it was three weeks ago.

Looks smashing! Great job. Looking forward to seeing it all built out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I assume you solved your Morrow problems. If not, let me know.

You should have washers under your nipples.

You might be able to tighten the loose flange on your hub. If you take the spokes out, it will be easier to fix. My first thought is to use Loctite sleeve retainer, but I don't like to recommend repair methods without being able to touch and feel the item.

Nice progress on your bike. I love your outdoor pictures.

Chris

I assume you solved your Morrow problems. If not, let me know.

You should have washers under your nipples.

You might be able to tighten the loose flange on your hub. If you take the spokes out, it will be easier to fix. My first thought is to use Loctite sleeve retainer, but I don't like to recommend repair methods without being able to touch and feel the item.

Nice progress on your bike. I love your outdoor pictures.

Chris
Thanks, Spring is the best time of year to be in South Texas.
Do you know where to get nipple washers?

I still have Morrow problems. This is an extra wheel set for riding.
The outer race on the rear hub is way too hashed to clean up. It’s hard to show with photographs but there’s just not enough meat to work with so I’m looking for another early barrel to build because I want to retain the Eclipse stamped brake arm with the riveted brass Morrow plate.

I think I can clean up the front hub and solder the flange back into place.
The only problem is I will want to replate it and that’s a slippery slope!
Still don’t have my grubby mitts on another 32 spoke front hub.

Thanks, Spring is the best time of year to be in South Texas.
Do you know where to get nipple washers?

I still have Morrow problems. This is an extra wheel set for riding.
The outer race on the rear hub is way too hashed to clean up. It’s hard to show with photographs but there’s just not enough meat to work with so I’m looking for another early barrel to build because I want to retain the Eclipse stamped brake arm with the riveted brass Morrow plate.

I think I can clean up the front hub and solder the flange back into place.
The only problem is I will want to replate it and that’s a slippery slope!
Still don’t have my grubby mitts on another 32 spoke front hub.
https://www.google.com/search?q=spo.....69i57j0l4.5021j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Eclipse was the Machine Shop that manufactured the Eclipse Bicycle and the first clutch hub and rear spoon brake, that evolved into the Morrow coaster brake all in one hub.
Your bicycle is around 1898
Saddle is a Troxel.
This information about your bicycle being "around 1898" is false, at least basing the year on the coaster brake. At the very oldest, your hub is 1903. 5 years might not seem like a big difference, but those five years in bicycle development was huge. I think it is later than that since the new 1903 Morrow did not yet have the badge on the arm. I have one or two, like your hub with the badge. I have not yet established a year for when the brake arms had badges. I have assembled a lot of information about Morrow coaster brakes here http://fattiretrading.com/morrow.html

I
This information about your bicycle being "around 1898" is false, at least basing the year on the coaster brake. At the very oldest, your hub is 1903. 5 years might not seem like a big difference, but those five years in bicycle development was huge. I think it is later than that since the new 1903 Morrow did not yet have the badge on the arm. I have one or two, like your hub with the badge. I have not yet established a year for when the brake arms had badges. I have assembled a lot of information about Morrow coaster brakes here http://fattiretrading.com/morrow.html

I got the domed washers. Thanks!

figured that when I found the October 1901 patent date on the crank bearing retainer.
I came up with circa 1903 from your page because I wrongly assumed that the ones with badged arms were the earliest.
99317475-4049-4110-B737-C1AF443D0051.jpeg

That squirrel in the headlight look.....

Back