When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chain adjuster removal

-

VITAL.SPARK

Look Ma, No Hands!
Here is another problem I'm facing. As received one of the 2 chain adjuster's was broken off! in the past someone had made a slot and tried to remove it. The slot is stripped open so a screwdriver only slips off. There are a few threads sticking out the bottom. I was thinking of getting a nut tig welded on the bottom threads and grinding the slotted end down to try and get rid of any mushrooming, then trying the screw with welded nut out thru the axle slot? Suggestions please I do have an easy out set but this screw is tiny and my smallest easy out is too large!

IMG_0091.JPG

I would try to drill it out first. . Iselect a chisel and then strike the screw at the place where the slot would become an X. The center(of x would be for the drill. One of the problems would be holding rear triangle on the ground whereby standing over it will determine if drill is staying centered. Variable speed + new bits have to be used.

Photo is a bit blurry and I can't tell for sure, but it looks like it hasn't been touched with any rust busting product. I would be attacking it with PB, the freeze it stuff, propane tourch or some other type method before I made any real efforts to remove. Wire brush first so that any liquid could get to where it really needs to go. NOTE: WD-40 is NOT a "rust busting" product.

Photo is a bit blurry and I can't tell for sure, but it looks like it hasn't been touched with any rust busting product. I would be attacking it with PB, the freeze it stuff, propane tourch or some other type method before I made any real efforts to remove. Wire brush first so that any liquid could get to where it really needs to go. NOTE: WD-40 is NOT a "rust busting" product.
I've wire brushed it and soaked it many times with liquid wrench. I haven't seen PB here in Hong Kong. I'll try the troch.

I would try to drill it out first. . Iselect a chisel and then strike the screw at the place where the slot would become an X. The center(of x would be for the drill. One of the problems would be holding rear triangle on the ground whereby standing over it will determine if drill is staying centered. Variable speed + new bits have to be used.
I'll do this as last resort. The Britt's have an expression, "it's a bugger"

Reactions: s1b
I've wire brushed it and soaked it many times with liquid wrench. I haven't seen PB here in Hong Kong. I'll try the troch.
Interesting to know that you are in Hong Kong! I have visited China a couple of times, as well as Taiwan and multiple S. Eastern countries of Asia. Very beautiful place. Good luck with the bike...

I would drill out the center of the bolt using the largest possible drill bit but without hitting the treads. Then it will be easier to remove. I have done it at least twice with success.
If you miss and hit the treads, just redrill and retread and use a larger size chain adjuster bolt

Back