When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chain length to buy ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

teisco

Finally riding a big boys bike
Restoring a Schwinn Voyageur and would like to use a new chain. I am a bit confused as to what length to buy. The bike is a 12 speed so I thought I needed a 12 speed chain but bike shop says I need a 6 speed chain. Is this because it has a derailleur ?

get a decent quality chain especially if the bike has index shifting...SRAM, KMC and Shimano are a few good brands. Dont go to Wal mart or the like for a chain and expect to pay about $15 to $25 for one depending on how well you shop. for chain length check out this video:

I'd pick up a 1/2 x 3/32 x 116 link chain and go from there. Get one with the quick link/master which most do come with them but some sellers on eBay don't mention it. Are you going to do the sizing yourself and do you have a chain breaker/tool? How many links are on the existing chain? The number of gears mentioned on the types of chains is for the number of sprockets on the freewheel or cassette.

Restoring a Schwinn Voyageur and would like to use a new chain. I am a bit confused as to what length to buy. The bike is a 12 speed so I thought I needed a 12 speed chain but bike shop says I need a 6 speed chain. Is this because it has a derailleur ?
The speeds refer to the rear caset not the total number of gears.

These days "6 speed" means 6 speed in the back. Never mind it it has 2 gears in the front (for 12 speeds) or 3 (for 18). A 12 speed chain would be for a bike with 12 gears in the back.

Back