When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chain lube?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

62typhoon

Finally riding a big boys bike
Curious what you guys use for chain lube...just replaced a chain and rear cog that was severely worn due to no lube and the lubes im looking at are very expensive for a little bottle. Is there something that cheap and works just as well?

Nowadays, a can of Kawasaki Foaming Chain Lube I found on the street years ago. It is apparently out of production now. When I had more time than money and lived where there was Winter I used the soak it it molten paraffin wax method and it held up really well. Time consuming, but OK if you had a lot of chains and a barbecue grill. I had not heard of the White Lightning product before, but it sounds great based on their website and Superdirtman's recommendation.

20230418_230237.jpg

The only way to truly lubricate a chain is to soak it in wax or a lubricant. Squirting it with oil doesn't do too much for lubing the parts that need it.

I’ve been using this stuff lately and liking it, but I live in the desert...
9F7B31E8-3175-4D0D-ABB4-C119D33F6531.jpeg

I really like that it ends up dry and doesn’t attract dirt. My chains have been staying clean.

From a tip that I saw years ago:
Mix 1 qt. of synthetic oil with 3 qts. of mineral spirits to make a gallon.
The mineral spirits thins the oil to where it will easily flow into the interior parts of the chain, then evaporate, leaving the oil as lube.
Additional benefit is the solvent aspect of it when first applied, dissolves the "gunk" on the chain so it can be wiped away, cleaning the chain as you wipe away the excess lube.
With new chains I just dunk the entire chain into the gallon jug, let the excess drip off, than rag off the rest.
Probably need to lube your chain more often with this method, but it helps keep your chain cleaner.
I've been using this for decades with good results.

Back