When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chain measurement..

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mickeyc

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Can someone give me a way to measure for a chain? I have an old skip tooth bike that needs a chain but all I have is a bunch of 1/2" pitch chains. Tried using one of them to go around the sprockets but with it not fitting the teeth properly, it's difficult to tell what I need for actual length. A 55" 1/2" pitch came up a couple (about 3 or 4) inches short but again hard to tell as it didn't fit the teeth on the sprockets. The rear sprocket on the wheel is an 11 tooth, a bit bigger than normal I think but one I want to use.

Any help greatly appreciated.

An approximation that I use considers the sprocket sizes and the frame measurements; (assumes normal tire clearance).
Half the number of teeth of both sprockets, (e.g., half 26 + 11 = 18.5") plus 2-times the distance between the center of the bottom bracket, and the axle sweet-spot on the rear drop outs or forward-release fork-ends, (e.g., 18.75" x 2 = 37.5"). If a fraction results for the overall result, then round-up to nearest 1".
The half-X factor is because the chain only contacts about half of the teeth at one time; the 2-X factor is to account for the upper and lower segments of chain, between the 2 sprockets. The round-up is due to steel chains not stretching during installation, and the rear drop outs (or forward-release fork-ends) allowing for adjustment for a longer chain, (i.e., axle sweet-spot).
It is an approximation-only, mostly because of the angles of the chain line, and less-so their tangents to the sprockets.
For a perfect un-worn chain, the length (e.g., 18.5" + 37.5" = 56"), in inches, would equal the number of link pairs (e.g., 56 big and small).
Worn chains may measure in-inches more than the number of link pairs.

For half-inch pitch chains the general method is similar, with some math differences due to the number of teeth per inch, and allowance for half-links.

Last edited:
for a boys bike, they were typically 56", in my experience. most of the girls I have had the chain off of, were 54".

both my Pierce's and my Westfield, with 28" wheels, are 56" chains. I have 2 with 26t chain wheel and 10t rear cog, from center of crank to center of rear axle it is 18-5/8". The one with an 11t rear cog, is 18-3/8" center of crank to center of axle.

My brides 41 Elgin ladies ballooner has a 54" chain on it.

None of the chains are stretched, they have dead on measurements to them.

Good luck.

Just did my measuring, came up with this....26 tooth plus 11 tooth divided in half equals 18 1/2". My frame must be a bit longer than the examples above as it measures 20" from middle of BB to middle of axle. That gives me a measurement of 40" plus 18 1/2" is 58 1/2" or rounded to 59". So now I need to get a 59" skip tooth chain.
Agree?

Sounds longer than most but a good estimate. If the axle could be moved forward by a fraction or so, maybe a 58” might squeeze on? Not sure how common 58” or 59” chains are, but I believe that a member Scott McC had some Diamond No. 61 1” pitch 3/16” wide roller links, that may each be used with a (separate) master link, to add length to a shorter chain.

Last edited:
Guess I'll see what I can shake out in the parts wanted section. Thanks again for your help.

Back