When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chain Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SirMike1983

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Can a Sachs SRAM chain be used on a balloon tire chainring and sprocket set, or is that chain a different size than a regular black original chain? I recently put one on and it seems a bit rough. The links are loose and all, but I thought all 1/8" chains were the same. Are they? Or are those older style black chains a little different from the modern Sachs 1/8 chains?

I think there was also a 1/2 pitch chain 3/16 wide (same width as a skiptooth) on the early bikes so check the width of the sprockets.

I wonder if it's the chain line then.

The rear hub on this bike is a newer coaster brake is a Histop/KT/Shimano type brake. Does anyone know if these are a different size than the original hub would have been, thus screwing up the chain line? I suspect the original would have been a New Departure D type, at least this is the type I've seen around.

I have a 39 Columbia with the original 1/2 pitch Diamond chain and a Shimano rear hub and it works-no problem. If the chainline is off, it would only be off by a small fraction.

Interesting, the chainline didn't look obviously off either. I've played around with it a bit though and will test tonight or some time in the next couple of days.

I wonder then if it is a mis manufactured chainring. I recently swapped in a new crank set and a new chainring (old chainring was cracked at the drivepin hole, old cranks a little bent). I wonder if it could have something to do with those swaps then.

The new cranks were 24 thread Ashtabula type-- I'd always followed the wisdom that these were all pretty much the same (aside from 28 thread Schwinn type). It fit in there fine and turned freely though it seemed.

I also put in a new chainring, I wonder if it is out of round or is mis-manufactured. I've never heard of this, but I suppose it's possible.

I have ordered a different chain-- one more similar to the original one. What I put on there was a 1/8 inch, 1/2 inch pitch Sachs SRAM. I figured it was the same as a standard old style chain. I suppose for $5 I could find out though and buy a new chain that is more similar to the original.

The only majorly concerning thing I heard is one guy I asked mentioned it could be a cracked or bent axle. I'm not sure how or when I would have done that (I've babied this thing), but how hard is it to bend a solid axle like that?

Last edited:
Back