When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chain Ring Identification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Sayre & Company ad from November 26, 1948 issue of The Terre Haute Tribune says their Duplex bicycle was introduced in 1911:

Another reference to remodeled Sayre and Company store. Founding date of Hatfield-Hughes different than ad above (1893 or 1895?). Reference to Hatfield-Hughes selling high wheels in 1895 not correct as safeties had taken over by then. It does say J. E. Sayre purchased the business in 1906. Cannot find anything on him before this date. Will keep digging.

From November 28, 1948 issue of The Terre Haute Tribune:

Another 1911 connection might be the patent stamping. Pope sued Schwinn regarding the November 13, 1888 Smith-National patent # 392,973. That suit was dismissed on October 13,1911. Not sure when Pope started that stamping; but one might assume that it was somewhat less necessary after about 1911.

Serial number 110975 looks like one twice previously posted by @popmachines.

Last edited:
So thanks to SA here is the earlier post on his bike https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/let-me-know-model-this-bike-is.140384/#post-957033 As can be seen it lost its seat and pedals/clips. If anyone has a restorable seat and a set of these pedals/clips I'm interested. Obviously the Duplex badge was added an no telling how it was originally badged but not Hawthorne either. The bike looks similar to the Hawthornes posted except the tubing sizes may be a little different. My main thing is to determine year and manufacturer. Any help is much appreciated. V/r Shawn

Back