When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chain Rub Help/Ideas Needed Nirve Switchblade.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
All else being equal, a wider rim will make it worse because the tire will bulge out more.

Lets say you got a wider hub with your wider wheel.... or just got a wider hub. You have to fit it between the forks in the back, that is the potenital issue. You may be able to "cold set" the frame if it is steel. If it is alloy or carbon, you are probably screwed. If you cold set it (bend on it) be sure to do a string test to make sure the same thing happened on both sides.

Hubs are getting wider all the time on multispeed bikes and the new frames have to be built wider to match the newer wider hubs. Chainline usually moves out too with each new change. A wider hub would help a lot, but you have to get it in the frame....

Lets have an extremely exaggerated example. Lets say you widened the rear of the frame an inch (no I dont think you could widen it anywhere near that much without ruining it, but maybe you could widen a little bit in the real world).

Now, that we have an inch more to fill in the frame, so lets add a one inch spacer to the ARM SIDE of the coaster brake between the cone and the locknut. We have widened the bike an inch, (1/2 inch per side) and moved the wheel an inch to the right (chain side). Now the tire is 1/2 inch to the right of center. Now we re-dish the wheel to get the tire centered in the frame again (move the tire 1/2 inch left).

In doing all this, we have gained 1/2 inch of chainline at the rear, but had to widen the frame at the rear forks a whole inch to do it.

If we now make a change in the front to increase the chainline 1/2 inch so it matches the rear, then the chain will run straight again. Now we have the chain 1/2 inch further from the tire than it was before.

So coming back to reality, yes you can probably buy some different wheel that solves the chainline issues in the back, but that part is easy. It is the bike itself that has to change. That wheel will be wider at the locknuts, and you will have to get it in somehow, and then you will have to change the chainline in the front to get it to match.

As long as the chain is on that bike, you could probably get away with a mismatched chainline front to rear if you had to, but it works against you. Another example: Suppose you widened the back 10mm, and gained 5mm in chainline at the back, and did nothing at the front. The tire looks like it is about 2/3 of the way back on the chain, so you would only get 2/3 of the 5mm (3.3mm) for extra tire clearance. If you make the chainline match in the front you get the whole 5mm tire clearance.

Some modern coaster brakes have 3 notches and a ring to attach the sprocket. I think thats what you meant you have. If you can find a sprocket that is offset, and install it offset it to the outside of the wheel, that gives you more rear chainline with no downside and no other changes. Then shim the crank (put a washer between the right cone and the chainwheel) if the chainwheel is also too far in. Make the chainlines match. It might be enough to fix your problem.

Last edited:
Another thought. I cannot tell by looking at the picture, but does your chain ring have a "dish" to it. If so make sure the rim of the dish is on the outside.

Another thought. I cannot tell by looking at the picture, but does your chain ring have a "dish" to it. If so make sure the rim of the dish is on the outside.
No. Unfortunately like the vintage Monarks & Murray chain rings (I know these 2 can usually be flipped in reverse) this 1 is pretty much flat other than the cut out areas are dimpled in. I thought about that before posting. I have read somewhere that a guy flipped a Monark chain ring so it cupped outwards in order to help align the chain due to using a fat tire wheel combo on a '50s frame.

Yes! and if the current sprocket on the coaster brake has any dish to it, make sure that is dished out as well.
I don't think it is dished but just a flat cog or has a cup on the back of it to cover the internals behind it. It does have the lock ring but I haven't ever removed them for anything. I will gladly get pics tomorrow if you guys want to continue to help as you have. I have other hubs of vintage I could use but the fail is I haven't learned to lack. Pisses me off 'cause I understand it but I either 2nd guess what I am doing or worried too much as not to ruin spokes/wheel bands

Since your chainwheel is flat, another thing you could do to get more chainline in front is run a BMX spider or powerdisc and attach an appropriate chainring to the outside. You could maybe even space it a little, although at some point you will run out of room and hit the crank arm.

Since your chainwheel is flat, another thing you could do to get more chainline in front is run a BMX spider or powerdisc and attach an appropriate chainring to the outside. You could maybe even space it a little, although at some point you will run out of room and hit the crank arm.
I have no idea what that is. Never really got into a lot of the aspects of bikes like I am now being 36 years old. I know the typical stuff but never had anything top end or fancy. Just all single speed coaster stuff or rim brake mountain bikes from box stores. Would it be like a bolt on spacer of sorts to give a secondary chain line ?

Basically they had chainwheels that were 2 piece. You had a thing that goes in the center (a powerdisc is a super stout expensive one and a spider is usually lighter. You bolted a hollow chainring to it, much like on road bikes or mountain bikes or whatever.

Since you are bolting the ring on to the center, it probably(?) brings the chainline out and there is also the possibility of spacers. If you do it, pay attention to the size of the center hole on the spider or powerdisc. Not all of them will work on a one piece crank. Also pay attention to the BCD (bolt circle diameter) of the chainring. 130mm and 110mm are a couple of common bolt circles.

s-l640.jpg

Have you thought of using an offset cog on the wheel? My Felt Bandit runs 24"x3" tire out back & has a cog with about a half inch offset. No rubbing. ;)
Yes. I looked last night for "bicycle offset cog" & wasn't really finding anything to buy. I believe it's mainly the rear set up with these type bikes since 3" wide tires were just starting to become popular; Nirve didn't think about needing more clearances. Idk. I would like the cheaper easier fix jus' so I can ride it more & continue playing with customizing it. I've had it for a while now; time to do it or send it

Back