When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chain slipping issue

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
After all of these great suggestions that I was thinking all of the same things, I went back to post #7 to look again. The pic and your description lead me back to my original thought. The derailleur and hangar could probably use some fine tuning. Both pulleys should be in line with the gear. Your bottom pulley looks inward a touch. Had my road bike get knocked over on the drive side a number of years ago that tweaked it just a bit so the smallest cog spit and sputtered. A couple minutes with the proper size, tight fitting hex wrench and limit screw tuning had it running smooth as butter.

Long story short, none of the bike shops in my area have the Park Tool FR4 part to remove the Style J freewheel I have so i ordered one online and will be doing this myself. Prior to ordering I contacted Park Tools and spoke with Calvin who verified the FR4 is what I need.

Last edited:
Rambler, you sir are 120% correct. I finally got my Park Tools FR4 remover and removed the freewheel and replaced it with a new Shimano one, problem solved! No more slipping or skipping. The problem was as Rambler said a worn small cog. Thanks for ALL of your suggestions and comments, you are a great bunch of cool dudes.

Last edited:
Long story short, none of the bike shops in my area have the Park Tool FR4 part to remove the Style J freewheel I have so i ordered one online and will be doing this myself. Prior to ordering I contacted Park Tools and spoke with Calvin who verified the FR4 is what I need.
What kind of bike shop doesn't have one of the most common freewheel removal tools?

Unfortunately nowadays it’s hard to find places that work on older bicycles and cars. Back in the mid 90s I had a 55 Chevy 210 and none of the multiple repair shops I went to asking knew how to rebuild a simple 2 barrel Rochester carb. I learned how to do it my self.

chain & cogs wear together and the smallest cog wears the fastest.
I recently replaced the worn chain in my 1974 Le Tour 10 speed. I went to my LBS and they sold me an SRAM PC830 8 speed chain. I asked about this chain being for 6,7, and 8 speed but they told me it works on the cassettes with 5 sprockets too. I installed the chain and all gears work fine except the smallest one on the cassette that slips under load. I looked at the teeth shape and they all look the same, squared at the top and I can't see any uneven wear. I usually don't ride in that particular gear but the next higher one. It wasn't doing this with the older worn chain and wonder if the chain they sold me is the correct one. TIA for your comments.

I too had the same problem on my 74 Le Tour. I replaced the chain and had the same problem. I then replaced the cluster and the problem went away.

DSC_0996.JPG

DSC_0982.JPG

DSC_0985.JPG

DSC_0995.JPG

DSC_0999.JPG

That is one super clean machine..wow!!!

Thanks, it was a one owner that spent most of its life in a spare bedroom. It now has its original stem, NOS handle bar wrap and a correct seat. I put about 2,500 miles on it before retiring it and buying a new road bike. It now sees about one ride a year with the Gateway Coasters.

Too bad you retired it. That bike can ride for ever and it looks brand new. I rotate my daily rides mostly between my 74 Le Tour, my 73 Continental or my new 700C hybrid. My other older Schwinns get a turn too.

Back