When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chain Tangle!

-
As I’m pedaling I can hear a ‘thump’ sound as the chain (I suppose it’s the chain) drags or catches.

I figured out the thumping, dragging

chain. The cotter had worked loose ever so slightly sending two of the three bolt heads into the frame. :( Now, to see if that is what caused the chain to come off the track. It works nearly flawlessly on the stand.

-----

perhaps you need to make or purchase a cotter pin press to get them well seated

a c-clamp with a socket from a socket set can be used for both seating and removal:

----

-----

perhaps you need to make or purchase a cotter pin press to get them well seated

a c-clamp with a socket from a socket set can be used for both seating and removal:

View attachment 1240219

----
Oddly enough I have no trouble taking them apart. I have a workbench vise that is not bolted down and a used hospital table to lay it on. With that combination I have no trouble removing them. I don’t usually think to seat them the same way.

-----

if you ever reuse wedgebolts it is good to take a file and file down the old seating mark until it disappears

reusing pins without doing this can impair the seating...

-----

Back