When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chain Tensioner for Balloon Tire Bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you want to over-think this some more, with your drop-outs, you're moving your wheel up or down on an angle, not straight back, which complicates all your calculations.

Got it! I decided to put on a worn out chain I had laying around, and that pushed the wheel back almost perfectly, but it still rubbed just a hair, so I decided to put a very small dimple in either side of the frame, so now it fits perfectly with about 1/16" of space on either side of the tire. I'm really glad I could get these tires on without the chain tensioner. They really make the bike. They just fill up the fenders so well. While the wheels were off I decided to fix the rattling too by putting silicone between the fenders and brackets and then a couple shims to take up the slack where the rivets had loosened up.

Back