When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chainring on opposite side?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
???????

20210602_173528.jpg

This idea has been 'invented' and 'reinvented' on several occasions across the decades for track racing machines. I understood it to be something to do with the crank being in a less turbulent airspace while you are "going fast and turning left"; with the front wheel initiating a "cleaner" airspace in which you can spin that big chainwheel faster.
Personally I think that originally it may have been a marketing gimmick on bikes such as the one illustrated above to distinguish it from other marques in a very crowded TOC marketplace.

I think I just saw it on a GJ.

Although i doubt it left the factory like this. This bike looks to be 99ish and there is no mention in the four catalogs i have of this era this was an option.

Who knows why this was done on this bike? With that seat, I doubt air turbulence was a consideration of the rider but I can see the modern competitor seeking such advantage.

I've mulled this very topic over during the years probably due to me having a leg length discrepancy of 1.5 cm shorter right. During my competitive years, large doses of training would render right knee pain and left Achilles pain. I felt my right leg was bearing the brunt of work due to noticable thigh fatigue. I also noticed that I wore the left side of my tires more than the right. The bike leaned left as my upper body leaned right. As most competitors would, I considered if this condition hindered my performance and sought ways to remedy it, mostly by shimming the right cleat.

But to the original topic, why right versus left? Could it be the influence of the majority right handed society? If it doesn't matter a great deal mechanically either way, my thought has been to have it on the left side as this is the cleaner side of the street. There is less moisture and grit as it gravitates to a graded right side of the street or gutter as we call it. And it does matter. This is an observation of one, and perhaps others who has logged thousands of miles of training for competition. At the end of a ride my right leg was always covered in more grit as it adheres to the sweat and whatever else one slathered on the leg to make you go faster. Another casual observation, take note of paired pedals that have spent a lifetime together. The right will usually be more cosmetically affected than the left due to dirtier, wetter conditions.

The Lefties; perhaps there is a method to their madness.

Last edited:
Back