When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chainring question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

phantom

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Assuming the rear sprocket remains the same and the axel stays in the same position: Going from a 52 tooth front to a 46 tooth how many links will need to be removed from the chain? Thanks

My guess is 3. When I swapped a 22 tooth cog from a 20 tooth cog I only needed to add an extra link. Should be the same for the front with an addition or subraction

I'll guess four. Given that there is a 6 tooth difference, and 3 of those are where the chain is, we need lounging's 3 links for sure. But I don't think you can remove just 3 without using a half link. I doubt Schwinn used those much. Since the ends of the chain will be a little closer than they were before, I am going to round up to four.

Chances are that axle won't stay in the same place in the dropouts. They're designed that way to adjust the chain with changes in sprockets. Only way to know how many links to lose is to do it.

I figure 4, but only if adding a special “half-link” as mentioned above, which would result in a net reduction of 3 link pieces.
[Remember that with 1/2” pitch chain, as with 1” pitch chain, the links come in pairs, and must be removed in pairs].
Without using a special half-link, the answer would either be 2 or 4, depending upon which direction, that the rear drop outs or forward-facing rear forks, and other clearances, will accommodate movement of the axle by about 1/4” (forward or back).
Often that is hard to eyeball precisely, and one might end up having to add (put back) 2 links or delete 2 more links; (or sometimes even remove a half link, previously thought necessary).
Might add that half-links, if used, provide a more even wear on sprockets with an even number of teeth.

Last edited:
Back