When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Champion worth more than Blue Bird

-
i quess since the tanks are being repoped for the huffy it makes me even happier for my bluebird. :)

yep.. and all the rest of the missing stuff too :) just love love love it. hey that would be nice a repop i can ride and beat the sh--t out of it and call it a huffy :rolleyes:. id would like have one of those repops.

Last edited:
here you go...

prototypeAero202JPG-1.jpg

Prototype aerocycle neck.
View attachment 82934

Wait, what are these things? I have never seen or heard of them.
I wish to know more

A lot of the things I was going to say have been said, but back to the original price comparison, the missing chainguard on the '38 bluebird was a major disadvantage.
I personally would have gone all in on it if it had just that one additional piece...the rack I would deal with later....it's not like a big tank guard which is nothing special.
Discounting the '38 bluebird that Nick scored here, I have seen the LeRoy Hartung bluebird sell twice and both times eclipsing $3,300.
I wasn't really keeping tabs on the bicycle bones repainted '38 bluebird, but suffice to say that a nearly complete late bluebird will land at a higher value than a '41 non-lit big tank considering the jroposa bike and the offering by easywind now residing in sunny CA.
These are the only recent public sales I know regarding these 2 models.
When considering a lit tank '40, that is another story which in many cases will outpace a '38 bluebird, but over a 35-37 bluebird in similar condition is crazy talk...ever seen a big tank in any configuration or condition sell for 10K?
I haven't and there's a reason for that even being arguably more rare (unquestionably in a twinflex).
Chris

Well, i go with the Bluebird over the Huffman any day. Even the 1938 Bluebird. The big tank bikes just have too many awkward lines on them. None of the lines flow at all? The bullnosed fat faced tank looks like the hood of a 1950 Chevy pickup with the front fenders where the lights in the tank are, the springer fork support rods have a sharp bend that don't compliment the tank at all, almost like a brick wall coming at you then all of a sudden a rounded tank, the rear rack floats too high over the rear fender then drops down at the tail, etc....Just not sexy at all to me. Now the 3 rib SS Huffman is a much better improvement if you ask me. The lines from the tank flow with the lines of the frame much better. The beak chainguard also follows the lines of the frame in the raer also. Much better.

On a side note, i assembled Karlas Elgin Skylark the other night and DAMN that is one sexy bike! The lines are killer. And whoever designed the way everything goes together was a genius! It's like a concept car that accidentally got put into production which never happens. Or if they do, they look awful compared to the prototype.

But overall......I still love my Speedline Airflow. Just look at the lines! The bottom angle of the handlebars where it slopes down runs parallel to the top of the tank over the headlight, the top portion of the bars are parallel to the ground,the bottom on the front o the tank matches the curvature of the fender top, the curved front fender brace matches the same curve on the front of the chainguard, the guard matches the tank shape as it narrows down in the rear like the tank tail, should I continue? HAHA!!!
Photo039-1.jpg

Well, i go with the Bluebird over the Huffman any day. Even the 1938 Bluebird. The big tank bikes just have too many awkward lines on them. None of the lines flow at all? The bullnosed fat faced tank looks like the hood of a 1950 Chevy pickup with the front fenders where the lights in the tank are, the springer fork support rods have a sharp bend that don't compliment the tank at all, almost like a brick wall coming at you then all of a sudden a rounded tank, the rear rack floats too high over the rear fender then drops down at the tail, etc....Just not sexy at all to me. Now the 3 rib SS Huffman is a much better improvement if you ask me. The lines from the tank flow with the lines of the frame much better. The beak chainguard also follows the lines of the frame in the raer also. Much better.

On a side note, i assembled Karlas Elgin Skylark the other night and DAMN that is one sexy bike! The lines are killer. And whoever designed the way everything goes together was a genius! It's like a concept car that accidentally got put into production which never happens. Or if they do, they look awful compared to the prototype.

But overall......I still love my Speedline Airflow. Just look at the lines! The bottom angle of the handlebars where it slopes down runs parallel to the top of the tank over the headlight, the top portion of the bars are parallel to the ground,the bottom on the front o the tank matches the curvature of the fender top, the curved front fender brace matches the same curve on the front of the chainguard, the guard matches the tank shape as it narrows down in the rear like the tank tail, should I continue? HAHA!!!
Photo039-1.jpg

you're a funny and disturbed young man...

A lot of the things I was going to say have been said, but back to the original price comparison, the missing chainguard on the '38 bluebird was a major disadvantage.
I personally would have gone all in on it if it had just that one additional piece...the rack I would deal with later....it's not like a big tank guard which is nothing special.
Discounting the '38 bluebird that Nick scored here, I have seen the LeRoy Hartung bluebird sell twice and both times eclipsing $3,300.
I wasn't really keeping tabs on the bicycle bones repainted '38 bluebird, but suffice to say that a nearly complete late bluebird will land at a higher value than a '41 non-lit big tank considering the jroposa bike and the offering by easywind now residing in sunny CA.
These are the only recent public sales I know regarding these 2 models.
When considering a lit tank '40, that is another story which in many cases will outpace a '38 bluebird, but over a 35-37 bluebird in similar condition is crazy talk...ever seen a big tank in any configuration or condition sell for 10K?
I haven't and there's a reason for that even being arguably more rare (unquestionably in a twinflex).
Chris

these two may be as fair a comparison as they get in a way.the '41 is a second tier model in the less desirable year, as is the Bluebird in question.
another thing I would like to point out is that as far as I know both bikes Mike posted photos of could be had, and both would run in the same price range.
that is unless you would like to lower the price of the Huffman to make the Bluebird look more valuable?

Back