When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Change from a single speed hub to 2 speed kickback

-
You know more about those hubs then the “tech” at my Chevy dealer knows about trucks.

I tend to excess over things. ... forget what she told me..
I like these hubs, they're a simple design easy to work on. They're 50-60+ years old and most with no maintenance are still working fine. Almost bullet proof.

Funny about the Chevy tech, I still have the big blue parts counter books. There was a time you could ask me any RPO and I could tell you what it was. I can tell you most of the letters.

I get what you are saying but its not like a close to wide ratio. I believe they are both 3 to 1 or the inverse.
If you have ever put a yellow band on a sting ray with a lucky 7 chainring, first gear is very low.
I know the differences between the 3 hubs, I've had hundreds through my hands and can rattle you off the part numbers.
Axles, in the rare occasion I need one I order CR-MO threaded rod from mcmaster. Its a heck of a lot cheaper then a used one on ebay.

Part numbers, heres one for you. With the exception of bearings all the parts have three part numbers.
AB number is a bendix
37- is Schwinn
48xxxx, do you know what this number is?
I think the planetary gear ratios are in the 25% low gear reduction range, and 33% in the overdrive range, just my guess.

Not really sure what you're asking?

Each company used their own parts number systems.

Bendix used ABxxx for the Automatic parts, and BBxxx for the coaster brake parts.

Schwinn used their own numbering system. 37xxx was a Bendix hub part, 42xxx was a Sturmey hub part, 44xxx was a Shimano hub part, etc.

I have no idea what a 48xxxx number part is? I do not remember any 48 base part numbers in the Schwinn numbering system.

John

I think the planetary gear ratios are in the 25% low gear reduction range, and 33% in the overdrive range, just my guess.

John

All three kickbacks used the same sun gear AB-7 / 482527 and the planetary gears AB-37. Not just parts swapping these are bendix numbers. And all three have the same number of teeth on the ring gear just in a different configuration. Giving them a 33% underdrive or 1.5 OD.

I know most most of the part numbers but have never found an answer for the 48xxxx numbers. Most boxes have two if not three numbers on them. I don't know if the third was another bendix number or maybe a sub contractor that made them for bendix.

Bendix was having problems with the red band discs and had updated them twice before switching to the shoe brakes. Out of the numbers I know only the disc set AB-22 / 37-108 changed the 48xxxx number. The last sets are 482610.
Thought you might know what that number is.
Don't have a good example with me but what I have.

20230319_215827.jpg

20230319_215757.jpg

Last edited:
In the mid 1960's my sister had a 20" Schwinn copper tone color girl's bike called a "SLIK CHIK" (this model name and logos were in white lettering on the chain guard), chrome fenders, high rise handlebars, banana seat and had a two speed kick back rear hub with yellow bands and coaster brake. I remember the high gear being hard to pedal when shifting into it.
This is the way my dad bought the bike from the Schwinn dealer in Oxnard, CA. back then.
Mike Cates, CA.

Last edited:
260mm is in the range of traditional 26" (559) mountain bike wheels so most bike shops and places like REI should have that correct spoke length

Back