Chapter IV: A New Build...

Discussion in 'Project Rides' started by Saving Tempest, Jan 16, 2016.

1. #61 Posted Oct 16, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

MVC-011S.JPG
    MVC-016S.JPG

#61 Saving Tempest, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    CrazyDave and XBPete like this.
  2. #62 Posted Oct 17, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

The scrape wasn't as bad as I thought...I've got paint on both halves, dried and carefully wrapped while waiting.

3. #63 Posted Oct 27, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

before.jpg after.jpg improv bracket.jpg

I had the tank halves painted and the decals on, put one on a bit off, couldn't save that, contacted Bruce Crawford and he's sending a new right side decal.

I had to improvise a bracket for the paperboys, and now it's fairly secure. On to the rack.

CrazyDave and XBPete like this.
  4. #64 Posted Oct 28, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Rosas first job (1).JPG Rosas first job (2).JPG Rosas first job (3).JPG Rosa's first job!

pedal_junky, CrazyDave and XBPete like this.
  5. #65 Posted Oct 31, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

I'm working out how to rig the turn signals and taillights from the same 12V battery pack...fortunately the Wamco Winner company (and they were based in nearby Boise, Idaho too) chose to use 8 'C' cells instead of Ds. I could try to mount TWO battery packs as I have three of them, that would be wieldy but easier on either set. At any rate it looks like most of the three sets will end up in one installation.

1-3 Ds, four AAs, 8-16 Cs, I'm Ray-O-Vac's best pal :D

XBPete and CrazyDave like this.
  6. #66 Posted Oct 31, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Ha! I love it man. Functionality! Decals came out lookin' good!

XBPete likes this.
  7. #67 Posted Nov 4, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Like the last time I tried it, there is simply no way to mount the rack with the arms attached. I can attach the front to the seatpost bolt with an extension down and I can attach the back to stay hooked to the center, freeing that when bulbs or work needs to be done. The arms had to go. It will work okay that way though. I have a good bit of stuff to do before it gets attached though. When I took paperboys off Germaine I could mount the rack like it was supposed to be. I have still got plans to build a support cage incorporating the rack so that I can install my dark green Honda Gold Wing Aspencade panniers with locks, which I had custom striped in place of the Honda Aspencade badges to read Germaine on the back in a similar script as the Aspncade logo. I really need to get it figured out though. It's getting colder at night. Tempest is not a winter ride, I have to cover her over and keep her preserved. Germaine is my winter bike, baskets or not. The days when I can work outside and enjoy all my bikes are getting shorter. I'll do what I can this month and use her without messing her up.

XBPete likes this.
  8. #68 Posted Nov 9, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

I CAN probably use the arms to attach the rack ABOVE the seat post bolt, as extensions, if I have them drilled and cut off, then I can disattach the back and lift to change bulbs in the taillights.

XBPete likes this.
  9. #69 Posted Nov 12, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Right side tank redo (1).JPG Right side tank redo (2).JPG Right side tank redo (3).JPG

It's not precise but I had to take the hole into account, which still involves a SMIDGEON of the red portion. At this point, it's not going to be seen on the road...and I spent a good long time positioning it against the other side and then I removed the front part of the paper and tacked that down then lifted the rest carefully until the bottom paper came free and finished applying the decal.

Now I have to spray the clear acrylic coat tomorrow and spray the ends of the screws white and then work out installing the lighting.

XBPete likes this.
  10. #70 Posted Nov 12, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

There is another problem to work out, that being the mounting holes on the other side don't quite match where the tank screw holes go...not all aligned. It looks like the rear mount needs adjustment. It's going to look really cool though!:D

XBPete likes this.
  11. #71 Posted Nov 18, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

And I understand that Tempest is probably ready to go home tomorrow...just as the cold starts in. I'll be tarping her over soon.

XBPete likes this.
  12. #72 Posted Nov 19, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

The seat post is up in the right spot more or less and the ride was nice and cushy, about as fast as I would expect and not hard on my knees from poor extension. So far snow has been a slang term for an illegal drug here, not a weather condition...but the cold creeps in every other day.

Maybe we'll have 'Tacoma snow' or just in time for Macy's and the KING 5 holiday show. Too bad that Tegna, the owners of the old King broadcasting chain that includes channel 7 in Boise decided to remove Northwest Cable News from it's own space on their five contributors' signals and the network is shutting down early next year after over 21 years...that was how we saw that celebration and then there was 'Gardening With Ciscoe' but they replaced it with the Justice Network. News, even rerun for four hours was a lot better than 'Bait Car'.

It looks like I have work to do indoors on bikes.

13. #73 Posted Dec 29, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

And we're BACK!

Stuff finally happened. I have things halfway and all the way mounted.

The tank is being a devil lining up, it was before I took it off to paint it as well, so I got one screw in to hold it together (just not lining up!), wrapped it in plastic and grocery bags and taped that up to protect it and keep the wiring inside from dangling out.

Then I took the Bell Radian 3-LED light set off Tempest (retired for the winter while I work on her indoors) and put them on Rosa...so now I have a pretty visible taillight and TWO headlights, the one on the bars comes out to use as a flashlight and while the positioning of the Radian on the stem is partly obscured by the basket it also helps and would illuminate the cargo if filled for even more visibility to others.

Just need to finish the rack setup and signal equipment.

more work on rosa lighting transfer (1).JPG more work on rosa tank wrap (1).JPG more work on rosa lighting transfer (4).JPG more work on rosa lighting transfer (5).JPG

14. #74 Posted Dec 29, 2016

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!

Steven-
    You're a man who's way ahead of his time. Next thing you know, everyone will be taping tanks to their frames. Hopefully you'll get the credit for it.

15. #75 Posted Dec 29, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

I wish I could take it for a spin but my right leg is killing me if I am on it very long...

16. #76 Posted Jan 11, 2017

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

I did try to ride it last week but ended up walking it some till I got to the pharmacy and called for a ride.

17. #77 Posted Apr 16, 2018

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

OOPS!

I have to try and save said tank now, two years later...the clear tape was a bit brittle and when I unwrapped it early on tonight the FRONT was okay...

IMG_0303.JPG IMG_0304.JPG IMG_0305.JPG IMG_0306.JPG IMG_0307.JPG IMG_0308.JPG IMG_0309.JPG

I'm going to have to carefully soak that stuff and gently rub it off with a cloth or low abrasive agent.

18. #78 Posted Apr 16, 2018

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!

19. #79 Posted Apr 16, 2018

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

One thing wasn't plastic.

20. #80 Posted Apr 17, 2018

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

It's coming off with careful work and a wet rag, slowly...I'll do some more later today.