When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cheap cruiser seat idea.... Whaddya think?

-

rick whitehurst

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have these seats I can't use, you know, the new big bulky ugly ones that look pretty bad. This particular seat has a pretty nice undercarriage but the padding looks awful. So I pulled off the cover....

image.jpeg

These Micargi seats are 20 bucks new on ebay... This one was on a bike I bought a few years ago.

Last edited:
And started carving out a more acceptable vintage seat shape.... I got a coarse 60 sanding disc.... And shaped it just the way I think it should be....

View attachment 651147

View attachment 651148

View attachment 651149
Just a little more fine shaping and I will cover it with luxurious fine Corinthian leather perhaps.... How much do you suppose an upholstery shop would charge to cover this with leather? When I was a kid it was about 30 bucks... Imitation leather was about 20.

Last edited:
Last edited:
An electric carving knife does a great job on foam a flat shape like that should be pretty easy. Contact cement should stick everything in place, or drill a bunch of holes for perimeter stitching.
Agreed an electric carving knife may have been better. I have it all sanded down now into the shape I want. The cover on the plastic seat base was stapled, there is a leather guy in town who does custom motorcycle seats and saddlery. I may take it to him for a stitched look. I have tried to cover seats and always run into trouble at the nose of the seat. Too much material gathers there and I can't figure out where to cut some away for a good fit. Are there any patterns for bicycle seat upholstery? I'm about finished sanding the foam.

Back