When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chicago Cycle Supply Co

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Obi-Wan Schwinnobi

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
When did they go out of business?.. I see late 40s and early 50s bikes still using the head badges, but was this just using up stock?.. Anybody have a showroom floor pic??... Googled but can't find a thing...

Here is an Ad.... bet you know this much already!

Interesting lawsuit that might give you some clues.....Battery Patents Corp. v. Chicago Cycle Supply Co., 7 Cir., 111 F.2d 861, 862.

Here is a link to a 1915 Cat on ebay... Lots of pics.

$_57-19.jpg
$_57-17.jpg

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=271394209487

Howie has a 1923 CATALOG - It has Shelby, Cadillac, Liberty, Chicyco ( own brand )

http://www.proteanpaper.com/scart_p...ic=000000000000007527&part=000000000000008204

Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 17.04.57.jpg

In 1934, the Schwinn Aero Cycle-designed after an airplane fuselage-had a tougher frame and cost double what the competition was charging. Furthermore, it was designed as a thing of beauty. Its styling (a word not used when discussing bicycles up to then) made bicycle esthetics as much of a selling point as performance. The department stores, where most bicycle sales took place, wanted nothing to do with the high-end ride. Schwinn got the Chicago Cycle Supply Company to distribute the new bicycle and told them not to sell to the department stores.

1938 advertisement for Chicago Cycle Supply

Prior to World War II, Schwinn utilized distributors to get their products into the hands of retailers and customers. Some distributors such as Chicago Cycle Supply would also sell their own branded versions of Schwinn bikes and/or contract to "make" private label brands for sale by larger retailers. This 1938 ad for Chicago Cycle Supply's three "Autocycle" models describes their standard features and available colors and sizes.

1938_chicago_cycle_supply_autocycle_adv.jpg

A Letter with address from 1956....

$(KGrHqJ,!lYFDOG6t1lTBQ9v+eldiQ~~60_57.jpg

1938_chicago_cycle_supply_autocycle_adv.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 17.04.57.jpg

$_57-19.jpg

$_57-17.jpg

$(KGrHqJ,!lYFDOG6t1lTBQ9v+eldiQ~~60_57.jpg

Last edited:
I may be confused and mixing up Chicago Cycle Supply with another company but likely not. I also may be confused about the date but as best as I can recall there was a going out of business auction around 1987 in Chicago. I had to work but a buddy went and remarked that there was very little there, although he did buy some stuff. Perhaps they had actually gone out of business earlier and sold stuff to other wholesalers before the auction.

Back