When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Childhood Schwinn Scrambler - Help Identifying Build

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ballooney

I live for the CABE
I'm trying to nail down my childhood bike in hopes of finding/building another. I believe this is a 1978 Schwinn Scrambler after a few mods but looking for confirmation (this is the only pic I have of my bike after all mods and a few more pics in mid customization below:(
BlueSchwinnScrambler.jpeg

At this point, I believe I upgraded the front end to all Redline components (fork, stem, and bars (did redline make bars?)). Grips?? Bike came equipped with Tuff Wheel II's off the showroom floor. On the seat mast, I'm a little fuzzy here...looks like I have some sort of bear trap pedals, I remember having a ribbed blue anodized seat post (make??) and seat clamp (make?) and a shotgun seat (hard plastic) (make)? Any help confirming or correcting my memory would be greatly appreciated including the year of the bike. I don't believe I ever upgrade the cranks (probably ran out of money).

Here are a few closer pics of the bike with the front end mods but original mid section:
LIttleStevie_BMX_Jump2.jpeg

LittleStevie_BMX_Jump1.jpeg

As I mentioned, any help nailing down year and confirming make of components would be greatly appreciated. I think it would be fun to build this bike once again.
Thanks for looking.

I'd say it was the Mag Scrambler if the wheels were original. Note the frame seat stays jet out before curving down. I see that you did lots of upgrades!

1612031407398.png

Yes, 78 catalog. The 79 catalog with that style frame and mags was named the Phantom Scrambler.

Rad ! Nice work. Yeah, looks like a ‘77 or ‘78. I’ve been thinking of building one too. Those frames are so cool. I think the one that came in red was Chromoly and the blue one was not. Some frames seem to have raw looking welds while others are all smoothed out. I believe they were made more like the Super Sport frames. Blazed welded and ground smooth rather than a forged head tube. Watch out for those fluted seat posts. They were known to snap!

Last edited:
Looking at that catalog page I'm wondering if the other model number BX9-6 for ten buck more just included the tube fork.

Yes redline made bars.the fluted seat post was made by many companies.looka like a suntour seat clamp.there were a few companies making those seats.cycle pro and kashimax are a couple unfortunately all that stuff is highly collectable and very expensive these days.the mid to late 70s redline fork,bars and stem and going to set you back over $1000.00 alone for nice examples in blue.

Did the Tuff Wheel II even exist yet in 78? I can't remember for sure, but that sounds too early.

Yes redline made bars.the fluted seat post was made by many companies.looka like a suntour seat clamp.there were a few companies making those seats.cycle pro and kashimax are a couple unfortunately all that stuff is highly collectable and very expensive these days.the mid to late 70s redline fork,bars and stem and going to set you back over $1000.00 alone for nice examples in blue.
Okay, good info...thank you. Yeah, I have been checking out the vintage BMX world lately to see what was going on in that community...all I can say, at least my bike was not a Cook Bros bike so a grand for few redline parts seems cheap in comparison! ha ha.

Back