When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Childhood Schwinn Scrambler - Help Identifying Build

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Did the Tuff Wheel II even exist yet in 78? I can't remember for sure, but that sounds too early.
Well, maybe I had Tuff Wheels and not the II's...thought they were II's though. Anyone know when Tuff Wheel II's came out?

Well, maybe I had Tuff Wheels and not the II's...thought they were II's though. Anyone know when Tuff Wheel II's came out?

The ones in your pictures are indeed Tuff Wheel II's. The ones on the scrambler and phantom above look to be Tuff I's.

Back in the late 70s, probably about 78, a friend of mine had "Tuff Wheels", (which were Tuff I's). A bearing race cracked in the coaster hub on the back one, causing it to eat a lot of bearings. Since the plastic was molded around the coaster hub, there was no way to replace it.

He ran some alloy rims for a little while, then in a year or 2 got more Tuff Wheels. They were Tuff Wheel II. I remember seeing them in the bike shop before he bought them and noted that the hubs were mounted on metal spiders, and that the plastic was no longer molded around the hubs. There was airspace. In my opinion it was a huge improvement. I don't remember if they were intended to be servicable, but if not, you would at least have some prayer of being able to get a broken hub out of the wheel if you wanted to try.

I don't recall ever seeing any Tuff Wheel II's back around 78, only "Tuff Wheels" which were the Tuff Wheel I without the metal spiders, and there were a lot of those around. I was also hoping someone would remember for sure when the Tuff Wheel II came out.

The ones in your pictures are indeed Tuff Wheel II's. The ones on the scrambler and phantom above look to be Tuff I's.

Back in the late 70s, probably about 78, a friend of mine had "Tuff Wheels", (which were Tuff I's). A bearing race cracked in the coaster hub on the back one, causing it to eat a lot of bearings. Since the plastic was molded around the coaster hub, there was no way to replace it.

He ran some alloy rims for a little while, then in a year or 2 got more Tuff Wheels. They were Tuff Wheel II. I remember seeing them in the bike shop before he bought them and noted that the hubs were mounted on metal spiders, and that the plastic was no longer molded around the hubs. There was airspace. In my opinion it was a huge improvement. I don't remember if they were intended to be servicable, but if not, you would at least have some prayer of being able to get a broken hub out of the wheel if you wanted to try.

I don't recall ever seeing any Tuff Wheel II's back around 78, only "Tuff Wheels" which were the Tuff Wheel I without the metal spiders, and there were a lot of those around. I was also hoping someone would remember for sure when the Tuff Wheel II came out.

Looks like the II's were used in 79 if this piece is original. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1979-schwinn-mag-scrambler.167311/#post-1255571

I'm currently working on a Schwinn BMX bike that I rode as a kid, and the frame is stamped G1081 (Giant-October-1981). But the model & chrome frame option isn't in the 1981-82 Schwinn Catalog and seems to be a transition bike between years of production...81-82
Whereas the chrome frame has double "Tear-Drop" gussets exactly like the 1982 Predator when it was introduced.
However, my 81 frame has a kickstand tube welded on it, resembling a Scrambler. Not certain though, the welded kickstand screams loudly....Scrambler!
Also, I have never witness a Predator frame with a welded kickstand tube before.

I vaguely can't remember the decals when I was taking them off as a kid.
My brother who was a bicycle mechanic at the time acquired the bike from a traveling Schwinn sales rep, and then he gave it to me for a Christmas present...Wow! Anyway, seems like it may have been used as a traveling sales rep bike for pre-ordering status not shown in any catalog. A "Giant" Special...hey everybody look at my welds now...Nice!

In your opinion, what frame model do you think this is...Scrambler or Predator?

Thank Yo~

P1010942.jpg

It's a Predator Cromo, Schwinn only made them for a couple of years and they are a full chromoly frame and the gusset has a full weld around it unlike the regular Predator. It was in the catalogs for 1981 and 1982. The Cromo was my first real BMX bike back in the day and I've built several since I sold that one. I'm always on the lookout for one of those, they're amazing and I love 'em.

Cromo.JPG

Cromo 2.JPG

Back