When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chilly proposition

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
..Possibly take a piece of pipe maybe something a little bit thicker wall same dia. Rip it length wise. Hammer it a little so it essentially matches the shape of the the side of the bars you fear could blow out when frozen. Hot glue and clamp them together. Then try the freezer with the champs still on. Hot glue will fill any void between the two pipes and maybe help prevent blowout. Just a thought. Good luck. Cool thread.. 🥁 * I think you can boil them and that glue will fail.

Heat up the bar, bend, align the bars until they are straight and match the left side. Metal finish the remaining dented/distorted area. Use brass (brazing) as your "Bondo" filler and file it smooth. Final finish with 3M flapper and roloc pads, prime and patina paint to match.

It will be both a good structural and visual repair. You would be using just normal repair procedures, not trying new rocket science.

Just an idea.

John

I was going to do this for my senior project but ended up going with something else. I was going to try and use sand to protect areas and try to get the ice to pinpoint the area I wanted to push out. Mixing the sand with silicon might help. There was also the thought that sand might not be needed because the piece is round and when the ice forms it's going to push out just the dented areas because a circle has the most area per perimeter.

I'd just do it in photoshop.:)

1900 c.jpg

actually I put them on my computer to show they are nowhere near back where they need to be. the arrows are the same distance from the center give or take a hair.

that would be the first step.

1900 A.jpg

I'd first get the grip part square and level. which to me would be more important than the dents.

I'd then weld a sturdy T mimicking my black lines and clamp it in a big vise.

maybe slice the low spots with a thin cut off wheel and either use a stud welder or finagle some way to pry the dents back out, then weld, grind and polish until it looks good.

bike frames don't blow holes in themselves from freezing around here, but I'd bet before they do they sit there freezing and rusting from the inside out for decades before they finally blow where the metal has thinned.

The computer shot is really nice.

With that information, you could remove the stem, use two "V" blocks to support the bar and a single 2 by 4 block to press and put it into HF hydraulic press. You can press the curved bar out to get it back into alignment.

John

Back