When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chiorda Gimond

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

marius.suiram

I live for the CABE
I was today at a sale and I saw this Chiorda, only 30$. It is a pretty bike, probably low end, but i took it home.
Lot of replacements.
Any opinions about the period?
I have no idea what should I do with it!
Here are some pics.

20180713_193945.jpg

20180713_193951.jpg

20180713_193959.jpg

20180713_194005.jpg

-----

"Gimond" is actually Gimondi referring to Felice Gimondi, star of the Chiorda Professional Racing team of the 1960's. Perhaps the letter "I" has been worn away or is covered by the downtube shift lever clamp which has slipped.

This is pretty much a rock bottom model as was often sold in department stores during the 1960's and early 1970's.

Fork is an asian replacement, as is left pedal, which tells us the cycle has been badly crashed.

Frame is constructed with Agrati lugset of pattern "AM", item nr. 000.8040/U. The bulge-formed head is item nr. 000.8046. The bottom bracket shell is Agrati item nr. 000.8507. The dropouts are Agrati item nr. 000.8002. Both the chainstay and seatstay bridges are Agrati plate style.

The zinc plated headset is Agrati 000.4001. The Thun pattern chainset is Agrati as well. Its design does not employ the shell's threads. Its bottom bracket spindle is permanently affixed to the drive side arm.

The five-piece solid axle hubs are likely Gnutti and are probably unmarked. This design is a problem on the rear as the drive side flange often works loose permitting the gear block to wander about ogivally. The steel wheel rims are likely Maccari - these are sometimes also badged and San Remo.

Stem, bar, brake levers, left pedal, fork and saddle all appear to be replacements.

You may be able to get a specific date for the bicycle from the backside of its Simplex Prestige model 637 rear mech. This model of mech launched 1971 so machine unlikely to be earlier.

Simplex_Prestige_Derailleur_Date.jpg

Hope this helps you a bit.

-----

Last edited:
-----

hello again marius,

forgot to mention that the forum has had three other discussion threads (that i know of) regarding Chiorda products.

there is this contract built J.C. Penney's which is quite similar to your bike. it is slightly lower in that the frame has no chrome plating.

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/jc-penny-10-speed-made-in-italy.133427/

another contract built example is this machine badged as Juventus.

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1970s-juventus-road-bike.106157/

nicest of the bunch is this showroom condition yellow example owned by member @HARPO

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/chiorda-road-bike-made-in-italy.106112/

-----

Back