When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHIORDA Road Bike, Made in Italy

-
I got this exact model in fall 1973 at a Britt's department store in Binghamton, NY. In my enthusiasm, I replaced the derailleurs and cassette with Suntour, the crank with a French alloy model. I rode it on a century run in my teen years.

The handlebars, stem, and brake handles are part of my franken-bike rebuild I still use today. Thanks for the memories!

Ive sold a few of these over the years, yours is super clean and all original depends on area but I say $150 to $200. Typically areas with a lot of college students run of the mill bikes will sell for more then middle of no where.
The original price in 1973 was $110

Steel rims are not conducive to rim brakes, and there was no progress in brake pad compounds before Matthauser.
Center pull brakes with modern pads on alloy rims stop and modulate as well as any brakes on the road, and better than monoplanar side-pulls.
Actually, long forgotten, leather faced brake pads stop very well on steel rims in the wet. I understand they used to be a staple in England. I put a set on my old Armstrong for original performance sake. I've never had a problem with them at all in the dry.
Matthausers heat and get gummy. Yes they stop well but I don't really need the expense and half life. I also don't tax my brakes so I'm not really a test subject there.

Interesting this thread has been revived, I turned down another Sears Chiorda the other day. It reminded me that an easy way to separate the good ones from the US import ones is that the rear brake bridge is a steel plate on the import department store versions. Not a small tube between the stays as are most other bikes.
Also interesting is that the only Chiordas we see are the department store versions.
I'd be interested to see versions like the one that was ridden to victory on the Tour in 69'

Back