When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chopper Style Motorized Schwinn

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Thurman

Finally riding a big boys bike
I latest motorbike project is a chopper style for my friend Dave. He's a Harley rider and Insisted on spring fork, sissy bar, ape hangers and fishtail exhaust. I was able to incorporate most of what he wanted. We used a 1962 Schwinn bike I gave him a few decades ago and fitted it with a 5hp Briggs motor. Each new bike I build, I like to try new stuff. I told him you couldn't use a bicycle seat with a sissy bar and I wasn't going to use a banana, so I formed a steel platform with a wooden base and rebond foam cushion. We cut up one of his old Harley leather jackets and had a guy I know upholster it.

DSCN7676_zpswx2hhmyy.jpg

DSCN7678_zpshvxyzeab.jpg

DSCN7680_zpshis1nkvu.jpg

Then I fabricated a kickstart mechanism. It took some engineering and trial and error but came out real nice and works great.

DSCN7692_zpshsin14zt.jpg

DSCN7694_zpslqhiixbi.jpg

DSCN7695_zpseeoeie8e.jpg

Then I wanted to make a tank shifter, so I fabbed up some parts and linked it to the magneto and used it for variable timing.

DSCN7753_zpspd28evlw.jpg

DSCN7755_zpscxwca5xk.jpg

DSCN7756_zpskoy9h1zu.jpg

I also used a 3D Motorsports clutch and mounted it right into the seat down tube.

DSCN7684_zpsto4vzu6e.jpg

I adapted a larger flywheel onto it for a smoother running engine and nicer idle. It also helped with kickstarting and taking off. Then I trimmed a Harley air filter cover to fit the flywheel.

DSCN7747_zpsv4dte1qy.jpg

I wanted a primary belt cover to resemble an old knuckle or panhead so I made a wooden buck and Dave knew someone who could vacuum form chrome plastic over it. It's about 2/3 scale and looks killer.

DSCN7708_zpshsrrzcij.jpg

DSCN7757_zpszivotsdr.jpg

DSCN7763_zpsxhd4itmk.jpg

DSCN7765_zpsvm8e8d8f.jpg

Still needs a fishtail, but we're not done.

Last edited:
Very nice work!!! I want to know more about that clutch set-up!
Thanks Chiptosser. The clutch is supplied by 3D Motorsports https://3dmotorsport.net/collections/manual-clutches . It is the first successful manual clutch that us do it yourselfers can use on our custom builds using motors with a 3/4'' keyed PTO shaft. Designed for go karts and adopted by motorbike builders, it works just like a motorcycle clutch with a handlebar lever. Very easy pull activated by steel balls on ramps to disengage. Very well made and reasonably priced. Comes in kit form or separately with all parts readily available. They come with a sprocket but I adapted a pulley to this one. I prefer belts on a cruiser for lack of maintenance and noise. My grandson laser cut the housing from 5'' box tubing with 3/16'' wall thickness. Mounting it into the frame gave it a neat and clean factory look while allowing for easy belt alignment. It's supported on both ends with substantial bearings that are in a flange and easily adjusted. I've built 2 other bikes using this clutch with excellent results. They are both mounted on the motor instead of a jack shaft.

DSCN7612_zpssujjnekg.jpg

DSCN7274_zps7hu9atax.jpg

Kickstart is killer! I think I might steal your idea!
That would be cool. I based mine on a Briggs 5hp flathead. Most industrial engines of similar size have the 4 bolt pattern with 5/16'' threaded holes or blanks that could be tapped easily. So I can give you those dimensions or supply you with a base plate. The most involved part was the freewheel I had to adapt to the 3/4'' keyed motor shaft. I can help you figure it out. What motor are you planning to use? Photos?

Back