When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Christmas 1964

-

Scoots

On Training Wheels
New poster here with your quiz of the day! :D

Christmas morning of 1964 I received a new 26" bicycle and so did my friend across the street, David. Both of our bikes were red and I think they both had "tanks". One of us had a JC Higgins (Sears brand) and the other a Hawthorne (Wards brand). My bike had a Bendix 2 speed kick back brake with 3 red bands around the rear hub - see photo:

Bendix 2 speed.jpg

Which brand of bike did I have and do you know if it was named a particular model??? :confused:

thinking it was a Hawthorne, because your buddies JCHiggins didn't use Bendix's... Deluxe?

Last edited:
scoots, you must be my age.....
Welcome to the CABE!
Thanks for the welcome and the reply.
I thought I had the Hawthorne, but I wasn't sure. My dad inherited the bike after I left for the Marines. I had "chopped it out" sometime around '68 with a banana seat and ape hanger handle bars - my dad loved it, made for easy riding for him. Anyway, sometime in the early 80's my mom sold it at a garage sale, as my dad's arthritis had progressed too far. :(

I think the 64 sears spaceliner came with a 2 speed bendix hub. I have a 64 deluxe spaceliner with a 1 speed bendix hub with one stripe.

Ric

With 2 speed, light, and speedo comes to about $64!!!!

While we long for the "good old days," an online inflation calculator says that's about $482 today! I had a part time job at W.T.Grants for $1.15 / hour in 1964!

Inflation

While we long for the "good old days," an online inflation calculator says that's about $482 today
Well, sort of.. The calculator uses a 1.7% cost of inflation as an average. Somethings may apply while others may not. IE: in 1969 a SS Camaro or Mach I was in the $3,500 range plus or minus a little, which would calculate to $27,200 in todays money. Good luck with that, closer to $40,000 doing comparable equipment.

Well, sort of.. The calculator uses a 1.7% cost of inflation as an average. Somethings may apply while others may not. IE: in 1969 a SS Camaro or Mach I was in the $3,500 range plus or minus a little, which would calculate to $27,200 in todays money. Good luck with that, closer to $40,000 doing comparable equipment.

Actually, all things being equal, 27 grand is correct. Don't forget the modern car has crap the 60-70's cars never had, air bags, nav, heated seats, 7-10 speaker audio, sirrus, traction control, all wheel drive, on-star, climate control, ambient lighting etc...etc.... All that modern crap adds big $$$$

Actually, all things being equal, 27 grand is correct. Don't forget the modern car has crap the 60-70's cars never had, air bags, nav, heated seats, 7-10 speaker audio, sirrus, traction control, all wheel drive, on-star, climate control, ambient lighting etc...etc.... All that modern crap adds big $$$$
Actually I had a typo....using the calculator it's $22,700.... No dispute, In the 60's you didn't have the choices like todays cars with package A B or C that includes things you may or may not want....The point is you couldn't come close to buying a 5.0 GT or SS Camaro for the equivalent in 1969 money.

Back