When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Christmas 1964

-
Sounds like your bike was most likely either a Sears Spaceliner model #46921 or #46980. They were both fully chromed models with two-speed kickback Bendix hubs. The difference is the 46921 had a springer fork, while the 46980 lacked a springer fork and had trusses instead (like in the catalog picture above). You can see reference pictures of the main and sub-models HERE, to confirm if it's what you had.

One other point is that in 1964 your bike would not have been branded J.C. Higgins. Sears dropped that labeling after 1963, and from 1964 their bikes were simply branded "Sears". If you're certain yours was branded J.C. Higgins, then it would have been a pre-1964 bike and was most likely a Flightliner (the Spaceliner was introduced in 1964 during the timing of the brand name change).

Last edited:
Sorry that I've been off the radar for awhile. I received a head injury on the job (knocked me out cold with some neural damage) and I'm still not back to work, yet.

Anyway, I made a mistake. It was Christmas 1963 that my friend, David, and I received bicycles as Christmas presents. We were both in the 4th grade. Both bikes were red, mine had the 2 speed Bendix coaster brake. That's why I can't remember if I had the Hawthorne or the J.C. Higgins (Oval medallion on the head tube marked J.C. Higgins - I remember one of us had that). If Hawthorne and Higgins both offered the 2 speed Bendix coaster brakes, then I'm going to have to track down my boyhood friend, David, and ask him which brand of bike he had.

My little brother was in the second grade and he got to ride my 20" Kennedy bicycle that was made in West Germany. It had a medallion on the head tube with a picture of JFK on it. Anyone remember that brand of bike? :confused:

I found the model of bike I got for Christmas 1963!!! :D

016-4.jpg

A J.C. Higgins model 45702. The 2-toned seat, the chrome light on the fender, I catch a glimpse of the J.C. Higgins medallion on the head tube, and the tank - all the same. The only difference is I recall having white grips on the handle bars. I can't tell if this bike has the Bendix 2 speed coaster brake, but I did!!!

Thanks to everyone for their assistance!!!

016-4.jpg

That one looks like it's in pretty decent shape. You going to pick it up? ;)

Back