When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome Frame Middleweights

-

marching_out

Finally riding a big boys bike
Has there ever been a list created of all the chrome frame middleweight bikes manufactured? I'd be interested in seeing a list. My guess is it's a lot larger than I think.

Has there ever been a list created of all the chrome frame middleweight bikes manufactured? I'd be interested in seeing a list. My guess is it's a lot larger than I think.

Great question!! Here is my list, that I know of:

- 1961-1967 Huffy Silver Jet
- 1961-1967 Monark Silver King (built by Huffy)
- 1962-1963 Belknap Bluegrass Deluxe (re-trimmed and re-badged Silver Jet)
- Hiawatha Silver Jet (production years known, on the rarer side, no relation to the Huffy bikes)
- Sears Spaceliner
- Murray Astro Flite
- Firestone Silver Cruiser (built by Ross, occasionally Huffy)
- Western Flyer Cosmic Flyer

I know there are others.

Thanks for the list. I also found a few others while surfing the interweb. There is a beautiful Murray built Ranger on fleebay. I did some quick research on it but came up with next to nothing. Maybe you can shed some light on that one.

I'm sure there are others. Thanks for your help and if anyone else wants to add to the list feel free.

Early 60's Firestones were Snyder built, I have a chrome ladies'. Hiawatha was probably AMF, I have a chrome men's frame also.

Early 60's Firestones were Snyder built, I have a chrome ladies'. Hiawatha was probably AMF, I have a chrome men's frame also.

That's it! I did see one huffman-built model though. It was a girls bike at Copake a few years back.

@jd56 which other Murray models can we add to this list?

"Ahhhh...it's all about the tanklights".
That was my passion when I first acquired the bike collecting madness disease.

Looks like Steve and Adam have pretty much listed the most popular of the "Spaceliner Clones.
It appeared that every retailer wanted their own badged Murray chromed framed bike...it was the "Spuknik" era after all.
There is the JC Higgins Flightliner.

Other than what's mentioned already...I can't think of any others right now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not all here are chromed but just some of the collection I've had.
08015b57ac55e3b72df326adf75a8d6d.jpg
c633046d7b4355de1662ab9235877b5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JD, you truly are the king of tank light bikes. I still need to buy one from you, probably; one fo rme and one for my wife.

Back