When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome Mead.

-
This is the one that jkent posted back in November 2013. Some thought it Snyder based on the fork. Check the rear drop out, that one was clearly stamped Mead.
Sorry don't know how to post link to that thread from my phone, no right click, tried double tap but no luck. Thread was in General Discussion in Nov. 2013.View attachment 282632
This is the same frame/Stamped Mead also,lol

I figured it was the same frame. Least it's not a modified girls Monark. Any other marks/numbers on it? I still lean towards CWC as it resembles the late pre war straight bar with the tall head tube. And they also produced chrome frames.

Edit: was practicing inserting thread links.

Last edited:
When MEAD stopped building bikes [previously described during stingray/krate era]; WHO bought them out? Was AMF involved? About fenders and holes for braces @ rear drop-outs... the pictures we have don't show bottom face of fork wishbone connection; is there a threaded hole? NOR, do we have a good shot of rear lower stay to seat tube, or, upper rear stays cross-over... are there attachment holes? In other words I'm asking was it designed to be fender-less; or, fit with cycle fenders. I've got a set of "letter stamp punches" that would allow me to affix "MEAD" to a left rear drop-out... What manufacture used the "rule" lines to aid equal 'chain' adjustment of the rear axle? My oldest boys [4] were born during 1970-1976... so, by 1980 and years following, we were building lots of bikes with nice chrome frames..

...What manufacture used the "rule" lines to aid equal 'chain' adjustment of the rear axle?...

I was thinking the stamped lines are in the dropouts are there to aid in holding the axle in place due to the slippery plating....something to grab onto.

I was thinking the stamped lines are in the dropouts are there to aid in holding the axle in place due to the slippery plating....something to grab onto.
YOU may be correct in describing the designers mind-set.... My comment has no provenance.

YOU may be correct in describing the designers mind-set.... My comment has no provenance.

About ten years ago at Trexlertown there was an early Elgin Robin frame all chromed. Some one had tried to make it a BMX bike...... Even welded in the side plates by the head tube.

Any ideas what to do with this bike?? Rat rod it,put it away till someone figures out what it is,etc??

Not sure what to do with it.

Does it have any serial number or other stampings?
Is the badge riveted or screwed on?
Do you have a pic showing the bottom bracket and how rear stays connect? Kickstand mount?
As always, any more detailed pics of frame construction would be appreciated. Seat post, bridges at stays etc....

Hate to ask so many questions but even with the pics in the other thread it's just too hard to see some details. Maybe some details will give clues as to who made it.

Last edited:
Back