When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome Paramount

-
-----

sounds overvalued

if shopping, i would keep looking...

faced with one which has been mongrelized a shopper needs to keep in mind the cost of putting it period correct...and the trouble of locating all of the correct bits

while many of the fittings are far too late for seller's '62 date the chainset, for example, is several years too early for a '72/'73 date

keep in mind also that while you can remove rust from the frame and polish the chrome the pits are there for the duration

aftermarket chrome is not only costly but fraught with numerous hazards

-----

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the serial number on the bottom bracket. Maybe it's the 621st frame of 1973. No idea about the N. Any thoughts?

View attachment 1379225
Been away from the internet for a few days, but when I saw the pics, I was scratching my head a bit...the weird thing was/is the rear derailleur cable stop, being a bolt on clamp versus a brazed on stop, which was more typical of Paramount starting in the late 1950s. Overall, hard to tell much from the photos, but certainly the crankset (and possibly the headset) are from the early 1960s. The bottom bracket pic of some kind of serial number further moves it away from being a Paramount, as that stamping is nothing like any Paramounts of any era. So, with the mixed bag of mainly early/mid 1970s parts, what appear to be late model 700C wheels on a frame designed for 27"/630 wheels, and the lack of any clarity on the make of this frame, the asking price is well above what this would normally return. Although it does look like a decent quality frame, I would venture it is very unlikely to be a Paramount (other than the head badge), so they may have done you a favor in turning down the offer of $1100. My opinion, other opinions may differ....

Been away from the internet for a few days, but when I saw the pics, I was scratching my head a bit...the weird thing was/is the rear derailleur cable stop, being a bolt on clamp versus a brazed on stop, which was more typical of Paramount starting in the late 1950s. Overall, hard to tell much from the photos, but certainly the crankset (and possibly the headset) are from the early 1960s. The bottom bracket pic of some kind of serial number further moves it away from being a Paramount, as that stamping is nothing like any Paramounts of any era. So, with the mixed bag of mainly early/mid 1970s parts, what appear to be late model 700C wheels on a frame designed for 27"/630 wheels, and the lack of any clarity on the make of this frame, the asking price is well above what this would normally return. Although it does look like a decent quality frame, I would venture it is very unlikely to be a Paramount (other than the head badge), so they may have done you a favor in turning down the offer of $1100. My opinion, other opinions may differ....
I've asked the owner to look at the dropout serial number to see if that helps.
The lugs are correct I think, and you can see traces of black paint on the lugs and head badge, but when you look at the bottom bracket it looks like blue paint. Any idea of who may have made it? Thanks.

Back