When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cicli Vecchi, Roma, Italia

-
-----

two completed joint images in bare metal are of an actual Malguti lug

the images of the lugs loose are all of Agrati products

more than 99% of all frames/cycles expressing the Malaguti style seat cluster are constructed with Agrati products

count yourself most fortunate to own an example of the Malaguti original! 😉

do not have exact years of Malaguti operation. Agrati ceased the manufacture of bicycle related products about 1983, although they did purchase Torresini (Torpado) in the early 1980's and kept it going, at least for a time.

best wishes for fine weather upon the morrow's crepuscule 😃

-----

Last edited:
Oh, and half of the mileage will be most definitely post crepuscular.
I have a musette ready stuffed with spare candles and a 1 inch diameter, dynamo driven, 3 Watt rear lamp

-----

possible link -

there was a framebuilder who worked at Cinelli for about 20-25 years by the name of Remo Vecchi

he went on to work at ACER-MEX and is credited for the design of the Italian appearing products from that firm

sounds like you may already have a better avenue of research however...

---

Falck -

the triangular shape of the transfer reminded me of one seen for this tubing supplier in the past, a faint memory

checked me files and there was at one time a Falck transfer of a triangular/shield shape but definitely not a match for the one on the cycle

-----

-----

possible link -

there was a framebuilder who worked at Cinelli for about 20-25 years by the name of Remo Vecchi

he went on to work at ACER-MEX and is credited for the design of the Italian appearing products from that firm

sounds like you may already have a better avenue of research however...

---

Falck -

the triangular shape of the transfer reminded me of one seen for this tubing supplier in the past, a faint memory

checked me files and there was at one time a Falck transfer of a triangular/shield shape but definitely not a match for the one on the cycle

View attachment 1506428

-----
Thanks for the further 'Vecchi' research link.
I'm still waiting to hear from the family business.

The 'St. George's Cross' design is possibly misleading I think re. the shield shape decal; as much of the remainder of the decal may be missing.
Hopefully one day another example will crop up.

-----

Hello again D. -

heard back from Maurice and he suggests that the triangular/shield shaped transfer may have been for Libellula

the only transfers for this tubing have seen were simple downward pointing triangles but Maurice's knowledge be orders of magnitude beyond mine own

the machine's era and location make Libellula a good candidate for tubing

when you have the opportunity to examine the bicycle under good lighting you can check the frame tubes for any sign of the dragonfly hallmark -

1959 advert from German mail order supplier -

trade publication advert -

Maurice reports seeing one other Vecchi marked cycle in a Subito (Italian classifieds site similar to gumtree) listing of many years ago. he writes that images were too poor to be of much use.

---

imagine you have plenty of information on the Cambio Corsa. thought to add this bit in for other readers:

1636968696073.png

1636968785011.png

1636968850496.png

1636968900771.png

1636968954105.png

1636969017508.png

images from bulgier.net & used with appreciation 😉

-----

1636969092701.png

-----

Hello again D. -

heard back from Maurice and he suggests that the triangular/shield shaped transfer may have been for Libellula

the only transfers for this tubing have seen were simple downward pointing triangles but Maurice's knowledge be orders of magnitude beyond mine own

the machine's era and location make Libellula a good candidate for tubing

when you have the opportunity to examine the bicycle under good lighting you can check the frame tubes for any sign of the dragonfly hallmark -

View attachment 1512601

View attachment 1512602

1959 advert from German mail order supplier -

View attachment 1512603

trade publication advert -

View attachment 1512604

Maurice reports seeing one other Vecchi marked cycle in a Subito (Italian classifieds site similar to gumtree) listing of many years ago. he writes that images were too poor to be of much use.

---

imagine you have plenty of information on the Cambio Corsa. thought to add this bit in for other readers:

View attachment 1512605
View attachment 1512606
View attachment 1512607
View attachment 1512608
View attachment 1512609
View attachment 1512610

images from bulgier.net & used with appreciation 😉

-----

View attachment 1512611

Many, many thanks Roger, and please convey my gratitude to Mr. Moss for taking the time to cast an eye over the images I've posted thus far.
Very, very faintly seen on the inside faces of the upper section of both fork blades there is this very faint engraving.....
IMG-20211115-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20211115-WA0002.jpg

...this second image is a very enhanced photo taken with the help of my sons phone.
All I could see personally was the edge of the triangular outer shield under very strong torchlight!

The Cabe is a truly wonderful source of information.
Thanks again.

Still no reply yet from Signor Vecchi of Via Ravenna, 38.
We live in hope.

Last edited:
Really nice piece of Italian cycling history; frame/tubing, lugs, components, etc. I had to add it to my list of Italian brands because I had no record of it in the 100s (maybe 1000s] of marques I have documented.
Wish I had seen it earlier as I am familiar with the Libellula logo and could discern it from the decal remnant. Frame tubing stamp confirms it.
I would certainly date it post 1930s since there was not a Cambio Corsa product available to my knowledge; more likely mid 40s-50s with the "newer" lever design. Personally, my most reviled of Campagnolo mechs; the fact that someone won a race with this design only shows how strong a rider he was, not how well designed Campy's product was, especially considering what was available at the time. Chances I have had to buy the system and/or frame I have passed on because I want to enjoy my ride without all the hassle. I sure it will be interesting to use it; but fun, not in my opinion.
I know I have seen many bike frames with internal routing in the 50s; can't remember a 40s frame with that design. My guess it that it is a later '40s frame.

Thanks for the story behind the shop. I look forward to hearing if Sig. Vecchi replies.

Really nice piece of Italian cycling history; frame/tubing, lugs, components, etc. I had to add it to my list of Italian brands because I had no record of it in the 100s (maybe 1000s] of marques I have documented.
Wish I had seen it earlier as I am familiar with the Libellula logo and could discern it from the decal remnant. Frame tubing stamp confirms it.
I would certainly date it post 1930s since there was not a Cambio Corsa product available to my knowledge; more likely mid 40s-50s with the "newer" lever design. Personally, my most reviled of Campagnolo mechs; the fact that someone won a race with this design only shows how strong a rider he was, not how well designed Campy's product was, especially considering what was available at the time. Chances I have had to buy the system and/or frame I have passed on because I want to enjoy my ride without all the hassle. I sure it will be interesting to use it; but fun, not in my opinion.
I know I have seen many bike frames with internal routing in the 50s; can't remember a 40s frame with that design. My guess it that it is a later '40s frame.

Thanks for the story behind the shop. I look forward to hearing if Sig. Vecchi replies.
Thanks for your insights @Jesper.
I feel you are not wrong re. the "fun" factor of the riding experience, but only when changing gear.
In fact, a friend who owns a set of the levers, rear hub and dropouts, has decided not to build up a frameset, after hearing of me bemoaning of its difficulty in use. He has decided subsequently to sell said parts!
Other than that though, it is a beautiful bike to ride, as long as you don't want to change gear too often. The frame really is a joy to ride.

The guy who sold it to me has subsequently tried to sell me two more examples of bikes with this system.
This is one of them.....
Screenshot_20211231-155144_Instagram.jpg

How 'Bartali' won that race using it makes me realise just how phenomenal a rider he was.
I would love to know how often he changed the gear cluster to suit the topography of various stages? Also, what size gearing he used?
As the 'Cambio Corsa' physically limits the larger size of rear gears, presumably he used much smaller chainrings on some stages.
I'm glad that you have been able to add to your list of Italian manufacturers. I would love to see your list posted for all to use as a resource as there seems to be less information available on this front, compared to information available on machines from the UK or France for example.

Sadly, I'm still waiting to hear back from Sig. Vecchi. I will try writing a letter in the new year, as I feel my email went straight into the 'spam' box.

Back