When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cicli Vecchi, Roma, Italia

-
@dnc1 , glad you were able to get out and give it a good ride. Was the gearing fairly reasonable? It looks like a 46t-48t front; I didn't really look at the rear sizes. I did notice that the freewheel teeth appeared rather "worn" on the 2 smaller cogs. Do you know if that is a designed tooth specifically for these shifting systems, or is it just decades of wear from use? I was wondering before your ride post if that might have affected gear shifting above and beyond the shifting system itself.

While perusing European sales sites I stumbled across an old "Cambio Corsa" frame set for $125 USD (decals were gone so unidentified brand). All I would need to do is spend about $800-$1000 to build it up with the shifting system (I saw the spoke guard on sale recently for $175); that wouldn't even include the wheels or brakes!
On closer viewing, I'm now of the opinion that the freewheel teeth on the middle and high gears may actually be designed specifically for this system.
Someone else has suggested that this may be the case for some of the freewheels used with these systems and I am curious to know more.
Here is a close up of the freewheel.....
20211124_162846.jpg

...As you can see, from the cleaned up high gear wheel, it does look more designed, than worn.
Does anyone recognise the manufacturer?
I would be interested to see close up photos of any of your examples @Freqman1 to see if there are any similarities.

Last edited:
Here’s the one on my Baldini which is only a three speed whereas most seem to be four speeds. The Paris Roubaix shifter could accommodate five speeds. V/r Shawn

-----

thanks very much for this image; it provides a reminder that Way-Assauto was at one time a maker of cogs and gear blocks

if one were to take the gear block as original to the cycle then it would seem a good possibility that the original drive chain was a Way-Assauto product also

1643224128338.png

1643223259263.png

here is a clearer view of the firm's logo -

upon first encountering it forty-five or fifty years ago thought there to be a brand of cycle fittings from Italy called "Wa"

only later did learn of the full name...

Way-Assauto is yet in operation today although the firm ceased fabrication of cycle fittings in 1972

-----

Last edited:
-----

thanks very much for this image; it provides a reminder that Way-Assauto was at one time a maker of cogs and gear blocks

if one were to take the gear block as original then it would seem a good possibility that the original drive chain was a Way-Assauto product also

View attachment 1557052

Way-Assauto is yet in operation today although the firm ceased fabrication of cycle fittings in 1972

-----
Thanks @juvela.
I wonder why they stamped their logo in 'mirror image' style? I can read that it says "Way" now, but backwards!.
Did they always do this on their products?

-----

excellent question

first can recall of seeing it done this way

their best known cycle products are headsets and pedals

here it is on a pedal -

1643225364221.png

-----

I think this maybe my freewheel, or perhaps a very slightly later version.
From the 'Emilio Bozzi, Milano' catalogue of 1950.....
Screenshot_20220126-193234_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

...and what a useful resource that is if you like Italian bicycles from that era!

This image suggests that my freewheel is incredibly well used!
I will check the chain for markings tomorrow.

Aside from decrying the performance aspects of the Cambio Corsa system; I am at present pursuing the purchase of a complete bike with that system and complete 40s Campy front hub and Universal brakes. Cost at this time is €550 after discussions with seller; but the seller says Italian post can't ship due to box size. It is up to me to figure out how to ship; Fedex wants $2000 (insane!). Any ideas?
I just made a deal this morning for another Cambio Corsa equipped bike (thanks to @dnc1) and shipping cost was 150 euro or about $170. The last one I received through Italian post and the box measured 43" long x 12" wide x 32" tall. It took about two weeks to get here. V/r Shawn

On closer viewing, I'm now of the opinion that the freewheel teeth on the middle and high gears may actually be designed specifically for this system.
Someone else has suggested that this may be the case for some of the freewheels used with these systems and I am curious to know more.
Here is a close up of the freewheel.....
View attachment 1556933

...As you can see, from the cleaned up high gear wheel, it does look more designed, than worn.
Does anyone recognise the manufacturer?
I would be interested to see close up photos of any of your examples @Freqman1 to see if there are any similarities.
I'll try to post some pics today of some of mine. I believe I also have a loose freewheel as well. V/r Shawn

I just made a deal this morning for another Cambio Corsa equipped bike (thanks to @dnc1) and shipping cost was 150 euro or about $170. The last one I received through Italian post and the box measured 43" long x 12" wide x 32" tall. It took about two weeks to get here. V/r Shawn
Very much looking forward to seeing this latest addition to your stable.
And I'll look forward to seeing some freewheels too.

-----

NB on Bozzi catalogue and Way-Assauto products -

W-A items are listed throughout with the letters W.A. in bold

there are chainsets, chainwheels, headsets, pedals and drive chains as well (IIRC!)

having this marking in the catalogue is convenient as a great many of the items listed are shown without a maker's name. this gives some readers the misapprehension that that they are Bozzi produced manufactures...

-----

Back