When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Circa 1900 White Chainless - Before pics and a couple of questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
That is absolutely the nicest bicycle I have seen or will ever see thrown away.
I have a couple of junkers that knock on my door from time to time with a discarded bicycle in their truck, maybe one day...
Chris

Thanks to all for your thoughts. Does anyone know for sure if the fenders were added? They seem later to me, are attached pretty crudely with nuts & bolts, and I think all chainless models I've seen were without fenders. If so, they'll definitely be coming off.

Andrew - I'm not sure if anything's missing from the brake assembly - it moves freely and the wheel stops very well when you backpedal, but I've never seen one of these up close before and would appreciate any advice or examples from the literature.

Walter - yes, this is definitely a keeper.

Chris - I know, can you imagine seeing something like this in the trash driving down the street? I probably would have hit a pole...

I'm glad the brake works well! I'm curious about how it works- could you post some more pictures of the mechanism? That is a very, very nice bike!

I'm glad the brake works well! I'm curious about how it works- could you post some more pictures of the mechanism? That is a very, very nice bike!

Here are some more pics of the brake mechanism - any thoughts or information would be much appreciated, especially if you think something's missing, as I've not seen this type before and I want it to be right.
Thanks, Dean

IMG_1598.jpg
IMG_1597.jpg
IMG_1596.jpg
IMG_1601.jpg
IMG_1602.jpg
IMG_1603.jpg
IMG_1604.jpg

I also found this bracket hiding behind that front spring rack - I'm wondering if this held a front hand brake mecanism that was removed when the fenders were added. Again, any thoughts would be appreciated.

IMG_1599.jpg
IMG_1600.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! Other back pedal brakes from that era I've seen pictures up were engaged by a pawl on the cranks- yours is actuated from the rear hub. The clamp on the handlebars definitely looks like a pivot for a spoon brake.

very fine

This is one of the finest, coolest, bikes that has been uncovered in a long time.it shows how there are many variations of the same idea ,,.It will be fine as wine ,when it is fitted with a proper saddle wpb

Hey Dean, Thanks for the shout out. That looks way cooler than it did in the craigslist ad, I didn't see the pinstriping in those fuzzy pics. Hey so I had an idea- I'd like to just quit my job and become your full time buyer, whadathink? I'm a great finder of things, and we seem to have identical taste. Think of the time you would save by not having to look for this stuff all the time and the peace of mind knowing that everything worth having would be brought to your attention. I'd just need to match my current salary which sadly shouldn't be hard to do:rolleyes:. -Chris

Back