When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Civility And The Cabe

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
14972cf29675f34043bd8c46abba57a0.jpg

Here's obviously another hot button topic that has got off track. We have a good conversation about a bike, then somebody offers to buy it and all of a sudden that person is being ripped apart because he might part it out. Bottom line is it is his business to do whatever he wants to do with it. Has nothing to do with this site, and how we have "favorite members". We do our best to monitor the rules, and keep the forum civil. However, when members start bashing other members, that is a rule breaker and we'll delete the thread. Seems pretty easy for me to understand.

As far as parting a bike out, agree or disagree, we all need parts at one time or another. Unless you are buying new old stock parts in the original packaging, you have participated in this practice. I personally have purchased many parts, specifically painted parts to finish a project. Where did I think these came from? Never really thought about it, but certainly came from a parted out bike. Maybe the bike was completely trashed out except for the one part I needed...probably not, so I guess I participated in this process.

Bottom line is civility is a major rule in MY forum....remember, this is my living room..please be nice and keep negativity to yourself. Save it for the swaps.

Scott McCaskey

Well said.

There is a guy on ebay, he parts out really nice Schwinn krate bikes, everything is "awesome". I was asking about some parts he had and made a joke about parting bikes, don't remember what it was exactly, something about how it was ironic that I was trying to put a bike together that wasn't as nice as the ones he was parting and capitalism. He did not like it at all and flew off the handle. He said something about putting food on the table and "people like me" and other things I can't remember. So obviously he was very sensitive to this issue and was confronted before. If you want to confront these bike parters, drop them a message on wherever they are selling and voice your displeasure. You are getting to them. I have even come across ebay ads where the seller states right in the description in your face, that purists can stick it.

I am SO owned by my stuff!

Fight-club-tyler-durden-quotes-7.jpg

Not to go against the grain.... But if I sold a bike that I've been the caretaker of for awhile just to see it get parted...Man would I be upset. Of course it's their's to do what they want to do, but it's still heartbreaking when it happens. We shouldn't be bashing each other and doing the name calling thing though. Simply stop selling to those guys. We know for the most part who they are. Actions speak louder than words.

If a bike means that much to a seller then dont sell it.A seller has no say into what happens after it is not his.I also am against parting a nice original but then I dont sell it if it is so dear to me.

Hi Scott,
I know this is your site, but I wish there was more of an emphasis on the CABE for preserving complete or nearly complete original bikes in an effort to preserve bicycle history. Like many have stated before me..... a bike is original only once. Even if a bike was "updated" decades ago by a past owner, it is still part of the history of that bike.

Mike

Can I use the bathroom please? :D
I thought you were already on a long bathroom break.

Didn't read the thread, have a good guess which it was, but I think it's fair to warn a potential seller that a volunteer buyer on a thread may have the sole intention of parting out the bike. It could broaden his horizons about the hobby/business, and allow him to make an educated choice.

It would be really nice to have an organization with guidelines for rating condition of an intact original bike.

Years ago when ebay came on line we began to see a few vendors at our Ann Arbor show that arrived with empty trucks and walkie-talkies. They would spread out on a bike buying spree, fill up the truck and head home to their garage. So where were people getting so many parts for eBay? Where else, the Ann Arbor show.

As far as parting a bike out, agree or disagree, we all need parts at one time or another. Unless you are buying new old stock parts in the original packaging, you have participated in this practice. I personally have purchased many parts, specifically painted parts to finish a project. Where did I think these came from? Never really thought about it, but certainly came from a parted out bike. Maybe the bike was completely trashed out except for the one part I needed...probably not, so I guess I participated in this process.

Scott McCaskey

Sorry but I have to call BS on this argument. These old bikes have been getting scattered for decades now so there are lots of loose parts in circulation. Obviously we can't control what has already been done, but its not to late to save the bikes that have not yet been destroyed. It's a god damn same to part out the great complete original survivors and anyone who does is a destructive parasite to the hobby IMO*.

* this does not apply to people who part out balloon tired Schwinns, because really, who cares?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back