When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clarification on an S2

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bike boys

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi,

a buddy of mine is selling these rims for 25 bucks. These look like late model S2s he claimed he removed them from a 73-74 Stingray.
Is he correct? Is 25 for a front and

rear a good deal?

That doesn't look like a Schwinn S-2 to me, but the pictures aren't very good. Looks like a single wall rim. Here's what an S-2 looks like with the knurling and double wall. Note the holes in the inner wall at the bead seat.

1606232137844.png

1606232168113.png

That doesn't look like a Schwinn S-2 to me, but the pictures aren't very good. Looks like a single wall rim. Here's what an S-2 looks like with the knurling and double wall. Note the holes in the inner wall at the bead seat.

View attachment 1306319

View attachment 1306320
Thanks, did they ever make a later model S2? I have looked at pictures and the sprocket and design of the rim look very similar to a later model stingray.

Schwinn made Tubular S-2's in Hungary till the end. There are many different rims that look like an S-2 but they are not Tubular and some do have the knurling on the face. I've had some Schwinn 26" S-2's that were produced in the late 70's or early 80's but they were not stamped with "Schwinn Tubular S-2". These were rolled out of tubing so double wall and there were no other manufacturers that made rims like this as far as I know. If it doesn't have the holes in the shoulder it's not an S-2.

1606233625327.png

Schwinn made Tubular S-2's in Hungary till the end. There are many different rims that look like an S-2 but they are not Tubular and some do have the knurling on the face. I've had some Schwinn 26" S-2's that were produced in the late 70's or early 80's but they were not stamped with "Schwinn Tubular S-2". These were rolled out of tubing so double wall and there were no other manufacturers that made rims like this as far as I know. If it doesn't have the holes in the shoulder it's not an S-2.
So every S2 will have Schwinn stamped on it?

the pictures he is sending me are not the best. But can one tell if these are incorrect?

I can't tell from those pictures with all that rust. Here's what the cross section on the rim looks like. If those have the same cross section then they are Schwinn.

1606247955805.png

Back