When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Raleigh Gran Sport Needs A Rescue- Gainesville

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

harpon

Finally riding a big boys bike
00w0w_j3JwvJ9pPMf_600x450.jpg

Two ads on Craigslist= one lists the price at $100, the other at $200- Gotta be the same bike- same skanky saddle

But a steal at either price

the one ad guesses the vintage at 80's

But I know this is really a late 60's or early 70's- probably about 72 0r 73- because I worked at a shop then that sold 'em, and they looked exactly like that then.

This is a Reynolds 531 frame and fork- you can see the remnant of the fork sticker

Rare NERVAR alloy 3 piece crank

and you gotta love the Randonneur bars... GB alloy stems were cool.

Looks like Weinmann center pull brakes and maybe even the original white rubber lever hoods.

Flat alloy cage rat trap pedals look original

Rear chrome is rusty

This was the Raleigh equivalent of a Peugeot PX10 or a Gitane Tour De France- except- I believe- set up with clinchers and the touring bars and long cage derailleur.

It's not clear what the wheel size is now- but the back hub looks like a later replacement-
nice tires

https://gainesville.craigslist.org/bik/5652324758.html

https://gainesville.craigslist.org/bik/5634976722.html

These were in a bit of a demand a few years back, but how quickly the youngsters lose touch
This was a hot bike in it's day as the Bicycle Renaissance was taking off in America.
You'd have seen a few of these at TOSRV or Hilly Hundred in Bloomington,

I'd drive down there to get it, but I simply don't have room for it and have other expenses more pressing I'm afraid. A smaller frame- I might put some MX or upright bars on it. Anything but straight! And a long alloy seat post! Looking at the crank- it might even be a Stronglight 93- (I have one in the closet) but I've never seen one with a chain guard.

00505_cELGzorvfqg_600x450.jpg

00e0e_fWymYuvTj51_600x450.jpg

00d0d_2wW1KxXPzCj_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Back