When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning Bearings

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

saladshooter

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Howdy

The first bike I bought in this hobby was an original paint '21 Ranger. I still enjoy staring at it from time to time. But I soon realized that just staring at my bike wasn't enough. So I decided I wanted bikes I could ride. So I've bought 8 prewar balloon tire bikes since. Every bike so far has needed the bearings cleaned and regreased (not surprising). So I've been spending hours spraying engine degreaser, using tooth brushes and picks to get the old grease out. Is there a better way of degreasing or should I be throwing the old bearings in a box and just buying NOS bearings?

Thanks
Chad

I like Gunk ,works great. Stinks bad but I think the tradeoff is worth it. I like to pop the bearings out of the cage for a thorough cleaning and inspection if possible.

9dd768b7-cc70-4910-a511-c0d160b8f2cd_1.9cac1967382834ff6f5b31aa69e5da8b.jpg

Uhhh wow, removing the balls. Boy I bet that will speed things up. Glad I finally asked for directions.

At least I got the same degreaser

Thanks Dale
Chad

No problem Chad,I like things as clean as possible .It also lets you inspect them and replace if necessary .I have a ton of NOS oddball Hartford caged bearings so I salvage those and just replace my bearings with new usually.

I take an empty glass jar (pickle jar, etc) Put the bearings in the jar with enough paint thinner to cover them. Let soak overnight or longer, depending how dirty and greasy they are. Then I take them out and use a blow gun with my air compressor to blow off all the loosened grime (obviously be careful to protect your eyes) They usually come out perfect and ready to regrease. Occasionally if theres lots of hard grease inside I have to dig it out. But over all, its a very easy way to clean them.
Plus, the paint thinner can be used a few times.

Mineral Spirits,hands down the best.I use a 2 stage process.I dont bother taking the balls out from the retainers.Let everything soak for a few minutes, or until the crud loosens, in the 1st stage, then clean with a cheapo paint brush.Blow out the crud from the retainers with compressed air then finish cleaning in the 2nd stage....Just realized the above post reads about the same.I think it works best.

Last edited:
Unless the bike shows very little use, I pop those old balls out, then let the cages soak in the heated aqueous cleaning tank here at the dealer for a bit. Brush the remaining crud out and blow dry with compressed air. Next I pop brand spanking new balls with new Park grease & back in the bike it goes. If I'm at home & don't access to the cleaning tank, I soak the bearings in WD40 for a while, pop the balls out, then blast with brake cleaner. WD40 actually does a great job softening that crusty, hardened grease.

I use charcoal lighter from wal mart works very good just put the berrings in ther let them soa over night and wipe them off zoom ther clean

Back