When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning Chrome on my X-53

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Christopher

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have this Western Flyer X-53 in really great condition, but it does have some initial rust starting on both the chrome part of the chain guard and the tank..... I'm afraid to take steel wool to it knowing the chrome plating is very shallow.... Does anyone have any tricks?

X53.jpg

x-53.jpg

oooosteel wool with simi-chrome on it,oooo doesnt scratch and simi-chrome shines it

Wad up some aluminum foil. Test a small area. I believe you'll be pleased with the results. Some people like to use with water, however I don't really see the necessity.

Discussion:
http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/steel-wool-too-light-for-chrome.28837/

Post #21
Take a new chrome part and rub it with some 0000 steel wool and you'll see that it will dull the chrome. I dulled the heck out of a newly rechromed front bumper just by scrubbing bugs off of it with one of those material meshed sponges that's used to clean windshields.

Excerpt from post 28:
Steel wool will scratch chrome, it doesn't matter if it's 0000 or not.
It may look really good when you have some dull chrome next to rust, your thinking this is working great. Than you put your freshly scrubbed chrome up against nice original chrome and it doesn't look so shiny anymore.

My Opinion:
IT'S TIME TO RETHINK ADVISING THE USE OF STEEL WOOL ON GOOD CHROME!!!

Last edited:
Thanks guys! It appears like everyone has an opinion on this...... I'll give a little steel aluminum foil a shot 1st.

So has anyone used evapo-rust?

Back