When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning Chrome on my X-53

-
Appreciate it Dave! I was more interested knowing the effects it has on any paint it touches. From the research I did on line and with the post, oddly enough it appears to be really safe. Interesting stuff!

Barto,

Appreciate the insight. So a simple and probably stupid question...when you rub the area, do you focus only on the rust or is it a more sweeping technique?

I personally like to focus on one small area at a time, just to be sure I'm getting all the little flecks of rust, but either method would work I suppose. Don't forget to wax afterward to inhibit renewed rusting.

I personally like to focus on one small area at a time, just to be sure I'm getting all the little flecks of rust, but either method would work I suppose. Don't forget to wax afterward to inhibit renewed rusting.

Any suggestions on a wax to seal it? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This always works for me ... go to harbor freight and get some brass tooth brushes and get a good quality wax and rub it in to the chrome but always keep it wet with wax it shines it up and it takes off the rust

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

IMG_0169.JPG

Steel wool will scratch and dull chrome, especially if it is thinly plated.

Soak and scrub in Citric acid solution and a brass brush...use very light pressure. Save the steel wool/oil for tougher jobs. Any small rust speckle remaining can possibly be removed by scraping with a single edge razor blade.

j119.jpg

j121.jpg

Back