When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning methods?

-

A_J

Look Ma, No Hands!
Anybody want to share some secrets? Maybe a Homemade soak for bringing a sprocket and other hardware with shine back to it's former glory? (Or as close as it can get!) I seem to second guess myself when it comes to not wanting any harm to come from products so I'm always open to suggestions from those with the experience I don't have! -- '36 Schwinn getting a good clean

I was told by a long time member here to use 3m rubbing compound on the paint and WD and elbow grease on the handle bars and such. Just a good safe clean nothing more..

For chrome/steel (not aluminium)

Start with the least abrasive and go up from there.

1 - Any spray cleaner (409, Bike Wash, organic degreaser etc.) and a stiff nylon bristle brush.

2 - Citric Acid and brass hand brush/brass wool

4 - Dremyl tool with brass brush

5 - Soak in Evaporust and/or then:

6 - #0000 steel wool soaked in oil.

7 - Straight edge razor blade to scrape and pop off rust speckles.

8 - Wire brush on Dremyl tool (basically taking component surface to bare metal).

For aluminium:
Good wipe down with degreaser
Blue Magic/Simichrome (buffing compound) - buff by hand
Chrome polish
#0000 steel wool (last resort to remove heavy oxidation). Simichrome and wheel buff afterwards for mirror finish.

Last edited:
Anybody want to share some secrets? Maybe a Homemade soak for bringing a sprocket and other hardware with shine back to it's former glory? (Or as close as it can get!) I seem to second guess myself when it comes to not wanting any harm to come from products so I'm always open to suggestions from those with the experience I don't have! -- '36 Schwinn getting a good clean
Shoot man you can't bring up what you're going to clean and not post a picture of it. What a tease, lol!

For chrome/steel (not aluminium)

Start with the least abrasive and go up from there.

1 - Any spray cleaner (409, Bike Wash, organic degreaser etc.) and a stiff nylon bristle brush.

2 - Citric Acid and brass hand brush/brass wool

4 - Dremyl tool with brass brush

5 - Soak in Evaporust and/or then:

6 - #0000 steel wool soaked in oil.

7 - Straight edge razor blade to scrape and pop off rust speckles.

8 - Wire brush on Dremyl tool (basically taking component surface to bare metal).

For aluminium:
Good wipedown with degraeser
Blue Magic/Simichrome - buff by hand
Chrome polish
#0000 steel wool (last resort to remove heavy oxidation) Simichrome and wheel buff afterwards for mirror finish.
Thanks!

Shoot man you can't bring up what you're going to clean and not post a picture of it. What a tease, lol!
Ok ok! Lol. This is after just some soap and water. If you go back to my first thread (there's only a few so far) I posted it in all it's filthy glory right after digging it out of a grove/scrap pile and asking WTH it was on here because I had no idea lol majority vote was a 36-37 tall c model

IMG_20170722_012845243.jpg

Ok ok! Lol. This is after just some soap and water. If you go back to my first thread (there's only a few so far) I posted it in all it's filthy glory right after digging it out of a grove/scrap pile and asking WTH it was on here because I had no idea lol majority vote was a 36-37 tall c model

View attachment 745615
Cool bike man, it will definitely clean up nicely.
Sean

Reactions: A_J
That's gonna be a really good looking bike after cleaning if it's looking that good at the start! It amazes me what will still get thrown into scrap. Amazing find!

That's gonna be a really good looking bike after cleaning if it's looking that good at the start! It amazes me what will still get thrown into scrap. Amazing find!
I agree. Here it is when I first brought it home before doing anything to it
IMG_20170611_014219266.jpg

Back