When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning my tank

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dc76

Finally riding a big boys bike

Hello ladies and gents , I’m going through my jc Higgins and have these dark marks through out the tank . I’ve use some rubbing compounds and a glaze but there still there. Not as dark but still linger . Any ideas would be greatly appreciated . Thanks as always ahead of time .

Hello,
My first choice would be a bit courser polishing compound which maybe you’ve already tried. If its on the surface of the paint or barely absorbed into it you should be able to eventually rub most of it out.
Honestly, depending on how much it may have stained into the paint you may not be able to get a lot of it out as it may be permanently imbedded into the paint.
You may try a little “goof off” on a rag and try to lightly rub on a spot that is in a discreet spot to test first. Not too much though as it “will” eventually eat through the paint. Stay away from the lettering on the tank though.
I’m sure others may have great suggestions also!
Good luck!

Brother Dc:
Here's the thing. The spots may be stains on the surface, which you may be able to reduce with a surface abrasive (like rubbing compound), depending how deep they extend. Or the spots may be the result of oxidation of the steel (rust) working from the "inside" of the paint. In that case, removing some of the surface paint by abrasion could make it worse. I'd say that you've tried a reasonable, conservative approach already and should put the bike back together, step back 15 feet, and say to yourself "Cool looking bike!" Adopt the credo of physicians and archaeologists: First do no harm. And have fun!

Thanks guys , yeah I going to go for a second hand and see where the paint looks like. Whatever the result it’s getting waxed and put back on the bike . I have gotten a lot out so I might not wanna press my luck.

Back