When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning out Grandma’s shed and found these… looking for any information

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

kittyelizabeth

On Training Wheels
Hello, I stumbled upon this site while trying to google information about these bikes we found in the back of Grandma’s shed. One is a road master, one is I believe an Elgin w a Schwinn bike seat.

IMG_2242.jpeg

71655838217__41760BE7-4F78-46D1-A731-417ACD36F119.jpeg

71655836574__25CD9481-49D6-45A4-A21B-33F72BFEE861.jpeg

IMG_2243.jpeg

Welcome to the Cabe!
Old bikes in the back of Grandma’s shed, priceless!
Street value, subjective.
The Roadmaster is in excellent condition, and the three most important things about collecting old bikes is,
Condition, Condition, Condition.
My advice would be to keep that one for yourself, to ride, while you work on collecting the missing parts to get that 1940 Four Star, Elgin Sport Model restored.
It’s a great bike for the Fashionable Young, American Girl to ride.
Here’s an example of one, I just got going for my wife.
CEEA52B5-F87A-49F3-9D2D-93A89A91A5AB.jpeg

AECF7502-FCFC-49DC-A1D2-705318067664.jpeg

9AA0BF31-C531-4B02-97E7-79CAA552CD43.jpeg

Grandma had good taste in bikes!
Have fun with them.

Nice story finding bikes in grandma's shed! Especially if they were hers and she rode them. The Roadmaster looks like an AMF built bike from the early 60's. If you have any interest in riding it it looks like it would be easy to get going. As said above the stem (the part that the handlebars pass through) is turned backwards. Maybe grandma or someone wanted the bars closer? The bars will have to be removed and the stem turned around. It would likely be more comfortable to ride. These are nice neighborhood riders. Value if you wanted to sell? $100 or so in my opinion.

The La Jolla bike is not a collector bike, but a decent neighborhood rider for someone. Not much $ value, but value as a usable bike.

The Elgin is very cool and pretty rare. The bike is a good candidate for refurbishment as a rider. Cleaned up and serviced with good tires on it it would make a cool rider. Or could restore it but that will take $ for paint and the correct parts. As @cyclingday said it would be a beautiful bike! But it would be a big financial commitment to do it right. As the bike is now sum of its parts has significant value too. Fenders, skirt guards, chain guard, everything there..
You could try searching here for some catalog pictures and photos of other similar bikes for more info..1940 Elgin. Good luck!

That kind-of-special tank becomes available online from time to time.
And at various prices and different colors.

Last edited:
Back